Samsung to get another crack at questioning Apple's Phil Schiller
Apple must make Schiller availabe for deposition by Monday
IDG News Service - Apple executive Phil Schiller will have to provide further testimony to lawyers for Samsung Electronics as part of the appeal proceedings related to their big patent infringement case, a California court ordered Thursday.
The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California on Monday ordered that both companies make available a number of expert witnesses to lawyers for the other company for out of court depositions of "not more than three hours."
The short witness list included Schiller, Apple's head of worldwide marketing, and Apple sought a clarification with the court on whether Schiller was eligible for a request from Samsung lawyers. Apple argued that Schiller spoke at the trial as a fact witness, not an expert witness.
"Mr. Schiller is an Apple executive who testified at trial and whom Samsung has already deposed, and whose declaration is limited to facts and does not include any expert opinions," Apple lawyers wrote to the court on Tuesday.
On Thursday, Magistrate Judge Paul Grewal replied.
"Clarification of the court's October 29 order is what Apple wants, and so clarification Apple shall get. No later than November 5, 2012, Mr. Schiller shall appear for three hours of deposition. It is so ordered," he wrote.
At the trial in August, Schiller provided some of the most interesting testimony because it focused on how Apple came up with ideas for the iPhone and iPad. He also disclosed figures on how much Apple spent on U.S. advertising.
Samsung lawyers pushed him on design details, on screen keyboards and emails, copied to him, that discussed areas in which Apple wasn't first with a particular feature.
The two companies are racing to prepare themselves for an appeal hearing that is due to begin on December 6 at the courthouse in San Jose.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- IDC MarketScape: Worldwide Client Virtualization Software 2013 Vendor Assessment IDC has placed Citrix in the 2013 IDC MarketScape Leaders Category once again noting that, "Citrix's position reflects the company's market leadership and...
- Infographic: Top Use Cases for Desktop Virtualization A wide range of business issues is driving IT toward desktop virtualization. One solution-Citrix XenDesktop with FlexCast technology-helps IT teams empower their entire...
- Budd Van Lines Moves Data Closer to Home Shipping and logistics company Budd Van Lines uses Infinio to improve performance on their VDI environment. The company employs a virtualized datacenter based...
- Storage Performance with Cost Control As IT groups expand their server virtualization initiatives, central storage performance can become the bottleneck and create poor end user experience.
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few. All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!