Hurricane Sandy: Backup generators fail at major New York hospitals
Expert advises that diesel pumps be moved to higher ground, and that data centers in the city consistently test backup systems
Computerworld - Devastation caused by Hurricane Sandy forced at least two major hospitals and a data center in lower Manhattan to resort to backup generators fueled by diesel for power.
In these cases the backup processes failed.
In two of the outages, bucket brigades were formed to carry diesel fuel up many flights of stairs to feed generators. At the two hospitals, hundreds of people, including patients in critical condition and mothers with newborn babies, had to be evacuated.
One of the more ironic cases occurred at Bellevue Hospital, located along the East River in lower Manhattan, where excessive water caused a backup pumping system to fail even though it had been sealed to protect against flooding.
Bellevue, a public hospital, had to evacuate hundreds of patients on Wednesday after floods caused the failure of pumps that were moving diesel fuel from the basement to backup generators on the 13th floor.
At one point, the National Guard was called in to mount a bucket-brigade to lug the diesel fuel up the stairs to the generators.
The hospital clearly had a working continuity plan with the backup generators when it lost power on Monday from Con Edison.
However, the diesel pumps shorted out from floodwater even though they were encased with submarine doors that had rubber gaskets, said Alan Aviles, president of the Health and Hospitals Corp., which runs Bellevue.
"It's easy to judge from a ringside seat ... but this [kind of storm] has never happened before," Aviles said when asked about the adequacy of the hospital's continuity planning on CNN's Piers Morgan Tonight show last night.
Bellevue officials will investigate exactly how the electrical short occurred, Aviles said on the show.
Aviles and other Bellevue officials did not respond to requests for further comment.
New York University's Langone Medical Center in lower Manhattan also evacuated patients, including newborn babies, on Monday night after its backup generators failed. Con Edison had preemptively shut off power to some parts of the lower island, and the utility also experienced an explosion at one substation in the area, according to reports.
Meanwhile, a data center at 75 Broad Street in lower Manhattan operated by Peer1 Hosting also faced a shutdown after diesel pumps in the building's basement failed due to flooding caused by the storm.
However, data center customers and others showed up to form a bucket-brigade to get the fuel to the rooftop generator on the 17-story building. The brigade was able to transport enough fuel to the rooftop to keep the data center running.
Continuity experts say that diesel pumps should be located high enough to stay operational during floods. "The diesel tank pumps probably should have been higher, but nobody anticipated this much water," said Al Berman, president of DRI International, the oldest disaster recovery education and certification organization with operations in 100 countries.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!