Microsoft plans to tie Yammer, Skype to its CRM application
The December update for Dynamics CRM online will include both integrations
IDG News Service - Microsoft is preparing to release an update to its Dynamics CRM Online software that will feature a new user experience as well as tie-ins to its Yammer social networking software and Skype communication platform, the company announced Thursday.
In addition, Microsoft is planning to release a mobile CRM application in mid-2013 that will run on Windows 8 and iPad devices, said Seth Patton, senior director of product marketing.
The CRM Online update is coming in December and will feature new "role-specific" user experiences incorporating prebuilt processes that "guide sales and service professionals through pre-defined lead, opportunity and case management processes," Microsoft said in a statement.
But the interfaces are completely "opt-in," with Microsoft remaining committed to users who prefer to use the Outlook interface, Patton said. They are also "fully configurable" to a user's personal preferences, he said.
Meanwhile, the Yammer integration represents "the first phase of integrating Yammer as a social layer" within Dynamics CRM, Patton said. Users will be able to post messages from Dynamics CRM to Yammer, and vice versa.
Rival CRM vendor Salesforce.com has included the Chatter social software within its CRM system for a couple of years now, but Microsoft isn't necessarily playing catch-up, according to Patton. "We're looking to take advantage of the fact that [Yammer] has broad viral adoption," and Microsoft will make it "super-seamless" to use Yammer with CRM, he said.
Users will also be able to make Skype calls from within the CRM interface.
Other new features in the December update include support for the Firefox and Chrome browsers on Windows PCs, as well as Safari on Macs, Microsoft said.
Microsoft is also adding additional platform-level features, such as support for customized .NET workflow services and APIs (application programming interfaces) for bulk data loads.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- 5 Hybrid Cloud Starting Points Did you know that more than 50% of organizations are already using or planning a move to hybrid cloud?
- Top 5 Reasons for Cloud-Based Disaster Recovery There is no question that every business wants to protect their operations from downtime and loss of data. But many companies don't have...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts