DHS official suggests sharing IT resources to survive hacks
Computerworld - Groups of companies in the same industry could mitigate the effects of cyberattacks by pooling infrastructure resources and working together on security issues, a senior official in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has suggested.
The comments by Mark Weatherford, deputy undersecretary for cybersecurity, came as several U.S. banks were dealing with a fourth week of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
The targeted banks include Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, PNC Financial Services Group, Citigroup, Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase. Hackers in Iran have claimed responsibility.
"This has been an eye-opening experience," said Weatherford, speaking at a cybersecurity awareness conference in Santa Clara, Calif., organized by local businesses.
Weatherford suggested "a co-op kind of model" where Internet service providers buy many more servers than any one company might need and then "co-op that for like-minded organizations" so that when someone needs the capacity, it would be available.
"We need to think of different ways of sharing resources," he said, but also acknowledged that he has "no idea" if such a scheme is legal or even possible.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts