DHS official suggests sharing IT resources to survive hacks
Computerworld - Groups of companies in the same industry could mitigate the effects of cyberattacks by pooling infrastructure resources and working together on security issues, a senior official in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security has suggested.
The comments by Mark Weatherford, deputy undersecretary for cybersecurity, came as several U.S. banks were dealing with a fourth week of distributed denial-of-service (DDoS) attacks.
The targeted banks include Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, PNC Financial Services Group, Citigroup, Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase. Hackers in Iran have claimed responsibility.
"This has been an eye-opening experience," said Weatherford, speaking at a cybersecurity awareness conference in Santa Clara, Calif., organized by local businesses.
Weatherford suggested "a co-op kind of model" where Internet service providers buy many more servers than any one company might need and then "co-op that for like-minded organizations" so that when someone needs the capacity, it would be available.
"We need to think of different ways of sharing resources," he said, but also acknowledged that he has "no idea" if such a scheme is legal or even possible.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Security in Computerworld's Security Topic Center.
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!