Blackberry 10 devices with carriers, launch on track for Q1 2013
The new operating system enters carrier labs as it rolls toward launch
IDG News Service - The first wave of devices running BlackBerry 10, Research In Motion's new smartphone operating system, have entered carrier certification labs around the world, the company said Wednesday.
The lab entry allows cellular carriers to begin evaluating the phones for use on their networks and is a key step toward them going on sale.
"I'm very pleased to confirm that we have passed a critical milestone in the development of our brand-new mobile computing platform, BlackBerry 10," said Thorsten Heins, president and CEO of Research In Motion, in a statement. "This process will continue in the coming months as more carriers around the world formally evaluate the devices and our brand-new software."
The company didn't disclose the carriers or the countries involved. Heins said he had spent several weeks visiting partners around the world to demonstrate the operating system.
"Their response has been tremendous. They are excited about the prospect ofA launching BlackBerry 10 in their markets," he said.
The announcement comes as the first handsets running Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 are hitting the market. They are due on sale in Europe this weekend and Nokia distributed free samples of its Lumia 920 to several thousand software developers attending Microsoft's Build 2012 conference on Tuesday.
BlackBerry has long found support among enterprise IT departments, but consumers have increasingly jumped to iPhone and Android platforms, putting pressure on companies to support other platforms.
Just last week the Department of Defense said it is planning to build a system to support phones other than BlackBerry, and the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency said it would buy iPhones for its more than 17,600 employees.
Microsoft's deep ties with enterprises make its new OS a potentially serious competitor for business use.
Indeed, Heins said his company has started presenting its new platform to business users.
"Our enterprise teams have started to present BlackBerry 10 devices and services to our business customers, and our engineers are fully mobilized to ensure that BlackBerry 10 launches flawlessly in the first quarter of 2013," he wrote.
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
- Samsung's S5 mini: Slimmer and slower than S5, but still scans fingerprints
- Privacy-focused Blackphone starts shipping to early adopters
- Why you shouldn't buy the Amazon Fire phone
- A closer look at the new technologies in Amazon's Fire smartphone
- Amazon's Fire phone is 'Prime' example of customer first
- Amazon's expected smartphone already faces skeptics
- Update: Tizen OS declared 'dead in the water'
- LG's new G3 smartphone: Simpler is better
- LG G3 sports quad-HD screen and laser autofocus
- With big growth in 5-in.-plus smartphones, where's Apple?
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014 Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!