NASA video shows life of Hurricane Sandy
Space agency's 20-second satellite video shows hurricane from birth to landfall
Computerworld - NASA has released a time-lapsed video of Hurricane Sandy, showing the storm move from its birth in the Caribbean to when it made landfall on the East Coast of the U.S.
The catastrophic super storm slammed into the East Coast late Monday afternoon, flooding subways, washing cars away on city streets, leaving millions without power and causing the deaths of at least 48 people in the U.S.
On Tuesday, NASA released a time-lapsed animation pieced together with images from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) GOES satellites.
The satellites, also known as Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites, captured a global view of the hurricane from when it first came together on Oct. 21 as Tropical Storm Sandy in the Caribbean Sea, intensified into a hurricane as it moved up the Atlantic Ocean, made landfall in New Jersey on Monday and then moved inland.
Developed by NASA, the satellites are designed to aid meteorologists and climate scientists.
The satellites circle the Earth at a speed that matches the planet's own rotation, according to NOAA. Because of the matching speed, the satellites are able to continuously hover over one position about 22,000 miles above the Earth's surface.
By holding that fixed position, they are able to steadily monitor and track severe weather conditions, such as tornadoes, hurricanes and flash floods.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Unlocking the Promise of Demand Sensing and Shaping through Big Data Analytics Many organizations have limited insight into big data. These limitations have significant opportunity costs and can have a negative effect on identifying and...
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts