NASA video shows life of Hurricane Sandy
Space agency's 20-second satellite video shows hurricane from birth to landfall
Computerworld - NASA has released a time-lapsed video of Hurricane Sandy, showing the storm move from its birth in the Caribbean to when it made landfall on the East Coast of the U.S.
The catastrophic super storm slammed into the East Coast late Monday afternoon, flooding subways, washing cars away on city streets, leaving millions without power and causing the deaths of at least 48 people in the U.S.
On Tuesday, NASA released a time-lapsed animation pieced together with images from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) GOES satellites.
The satellites, also known as Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites, captured a global view of the hurricane from when it first came together on Oct. 21 as Tropical Storm Sandy in the Caribbean Sea, intensified into a hurricane as it moved up the Atlantic Ocean, made landfall in New Jersey on Monday and then moved inland.
Developed by NASA, the satellites are designed to aid meteorologists and climate scientists.
The satellites circle the Earth at a speed that matches the planet's own rotation, according to NOAA. Because of the matching speed, the satellites are able to continuously hover over one position about 22,000 miles above the Earth's surface.
By holding that fixed position, they are able to steadily monitor and track severe weather conditions, such as tornadoes, hurricanes and flash floods.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Emerging Technologies in Computerworld's Emerging Technologies Topic Center.
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- Intelligent Imaging for Improved Banking Performance and Profitability A new generation of "Intelligent Imaging" solutions has emerged that is helping banks remove the burden of paper in legacy processes, like loan...
- Shifting Gears: The Value of Customer-Driven Quality in Manufacturing In today's competitive manufacturing market, the customer must be the center of the quality universe. This paper details how manufacturers can improve customer...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Emerging Technologies White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!