California notifies app developers of privacy law non-compliance
Large tech companies like Apple and Facebook had earlier come to an agreement with the state to improve app privacy protection
IDG News Service - Notices will be sent out to developers of up to 100 mobile apps that are not compliant with California privacy law, starting with those who have the most popular apps available on mobile platforms, the office of the state's attorney general Kamala D. Harris said Tuesday.
An operator of a mobile app that uses the Internet to collect personally identifiable information is an online service within the meaning of the Act, according to a sample copy of the letter.
Failure to comply can lead to a fine of up to US$2,500 each time a non-compliant app is downloaded.
Harris arrived at an agreement in February committing leading operators of mobile application platforms to improve privacy protections on apps. Amazon, Apple, Google, Hewlett-Packard, Microsoft and Research In Motion agreed to ensure that mobile apps comply with the California Online Privacy Protection Act, including by providing a mechanism for users to report apps that are not in compliance with applicable terms of service and the laws.
The addition of Facebook in June to the list of companies to sign the agreement, extended privacy protections to include social apps in Facebook's App Center.
The state has taken a tough stand on online privacy, setting up a Privacy Enforcement and Protection Unit within the state's justice department earlier this year. The California Online Privacy Protection Act is one of the privacy laws that the unit is charged with enforcing.
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Simple Solution, Big Capability Meet growing employee and business demands by connecting up to 1,000 users with powerful collaboration capabilities with a single, integrated platform -- Cisco...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts