China's ZTE unveils new 5-inch smartphone
The phone is part of ZTE's new Nubia brand of devices
IDG News Service - Chinese handset maker ZTE showed off a new high-end phone on Wednesday. The Z5 has a 5-inch screen, a 13-megapixel camera and a quad-core processor.
The Z5 is part ZTE's new line of Nubia devices, according to the company's official account on Chinese social networking site Sina Weibo.
The phone will go on sale in mainland China in December, and later in other markets, a ZTE representative said, while declining to provide further technical details of the device.
There's a growing number of 5-inch smartphones on the market, with Samsung selling its 5.55 inch Galaxy Note 2, and HTC slated to launch a 5-inch smartphone called the HTC Butterfly J in Japan this December.
ZTE is currently the world's fourth-largest smartphone vendor, and saw 82.9 percent year-over-year growth in its smartphone shipments this past third quarter, according to research firm IDC.
The company has had much of its success selling smartphones in China and other emerging markets, by pricing its phones at the lower end of the market. But ZTE also wants to focus on markets including the U.S. and Japan, where smartphones are priced higher and can bring more profit to the company.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Piecing Together the Business Intelligence Puzzle Business intelligence (BI) technology collects and analyzes company data, delivering relevant information to corporate decision-makers in an effort to produce favorable outcomes.
- Harness IT -- An Introduction to Business Intelligence Solutions Learn the key selection criteria required to provide your organization with the capability to address structured data, unstructured data and mobile demands so...
- Business Intelligence Shows its Smarts Today's Business Intelligence (BI) tools provide a new way to think about data with self-service capabilities and user-friendly analytics that can be used...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Testimonial: Cystic Fibrosis Trust Peter Hawkins, the Head of IT for Cystic Fibrosis Trust, discusses the role CommVault's Simpana software platform plays in improving the company's information... All Data Center White Papers | Webcasts