Sybase chief John Chen leaving SAP
His departure had been anticipated now that the integration of Sybase into SAP is complete
IDG News Service - Sybase CEO John Chen is leaving SAP, roughly two-and-a-half years after SAP acquired the company for its database and mobility technologies, SAP announced Tuesday.
"After 15 years of leading Sybase, I want to take on a new challenge," Chen said in a statement. "The integration of Sybase into SAP is complete and the business is in great shape."
In addition, Sybase's technologies "are contributing significantly to SAP's success," Chen added.
In separate statements, top SAP executives highly praised Chen, suggesting there is no ill will behind his departure, which has been somewhat anticipated in recent months given how long SAP has owned Sybase, as well as Chen's generally low public profile of late.
"We thank John for his extraordinary leadership over the past few years," SAP co-CEOs Bill McDermott and Jim Hagemann Snabe said. "We respect John's decision, we know that he will remain a friend of SAP and we wish him all the best for the future."
"John is a pioneer who contributed greatly to the enterprise mobility and database markets, and I am incredibly proud of what we have done together," executive board member and technology chief Vishal Sikka said.
Chen has "done what he needed to do" at SAP, helping transition the company by highlighting its mobility assets and "establishing China as a beach head," said analyst Ray Wang, CEO of Constellation Research, in an interview Tuesday.
Sybase has also provided SAP with some database technologies it will need for its HANA in-memory platform and beyond, Wang added.
In addition, Chen's work at Sybase helped SAP establish further credibility in the financial services market, according to Wang.
Chen's resignation will become effective on Wednesday.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Fast and Furious: How SAS VA Helps IT Deliver BI Platform Read this whitepaper to learn more about the benefits of self-service BI to make business critical decisions.
- API Playbook: Drive API Adoption Through Developer Engagement Learn the best practices of how to engage developers, whether your goal is to attract external developers to your public APIs or improve...
- Leverage the Power of APIs to Turbocharge Your Mobile Strategy: 7 Steps to a Successful API Program In this guide, Intel® Services-which offers industry-leading API management solutions for over 150 top enterprises, including Best Buy, Netflix, Expedia, ESPN, and The...
- IDG Research Survey: Are you Paying Too Much for Your NMS? Feel like you're paying too much for network monitoring? You're not alone. This survey brief summarizes findings from research recently fielded by IDG...
- Live Webcast Master the Changing SAP Landscape with Performance Management SAP landscapes are not getting simpler. Gradually, business processes that used to be contained on a single SAP system now involve a range...
- API Management: The Key to Improving the Consumer Travel Experience Join PhoCusWright's Senior Technology Analyst, Norm Rose, as he shares his insights on how travel suppliers and intermediaries can improve industry data flow...
- Tips to Simplify Database Administration and Development Make your job easier while getting the most from the leading productivity tool for database professionals. Learn tips from Dell Software's Oracle® ACE,... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts