Virtual Instruments CEO: We're the bridge between physical and virtual
John Thompson explains why the company he now heads offers a better way to manage the performance of cloud infrastructure
Infoworld - Every transition in computing spawns a new market in management tools -- the evolution to highly virtualized data centers and the cloud is no different. Virtual Instruments is squarely focused on delivering the next generation of management for, as its name implies, this new virtual world. But Virtual Instruments is different from other startups trying to tackle the virtual management challenge.
First, it's not a start-up at all. Rather, the company began as a 2008 spin-out from optical network company Finisar Corp. Second, Virtual Instruments sports one of the tech industry's most seasoned chief executive officers in John Thompson, former CEO of security vendor Symantec and, earlier, top executive at IBM. In this installment of the CEO Interview Series, Thompson spoke with InfoWorld Editor-in-Chief Eric Knorr and IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about what makes Virtual Instruments different from existing management companies and why enterprises from PayPal to Unilever have committed to the company's technology.
[ Find out the topics and issues affecting tech's biggest names and news makers as revealed in the IDGE Insider CEO interview series. | Stay ahead of the key tech business news with InfoWorld's Today's Headlines: First Look newsletter. | Read Bill Snyder's Tech's Bottom Line blog for what the key business trends mean to you. ]
Q: What's the unique proposition behind Virtual Instruments and what's the value you deliver in this highly virtualized moving-to-cloud world?
A: What's very clear is that there is another transition under way in our industry. They happen about every eight to 10 years, and we're in the midst of yet another one -- one that, as I've said to many customers around the world, is inevitable. The physical, the virtual-to-cloud transition will happen, and what we're doing at Virtual Instruments is positioning our product platform to be the performance management platform for that environment.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- eBook: An Executives' Guide: The Machine of the Future This eBook has been developed to help executives understand the value of M2M and IoT to enterprises. We will include a framework CEOs...
- Quantifying the Return on Investment: The Business Case for Machine-to-Machine Initiatives This paper uses real-world customer results and a set of key metrics to help executives and managers understand the return they should expect...
- Why IT Struggles to Innovate, and How You Can Fix It This eBook explores IT innovation struggles and ways IT can achieve business relevance.
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Transformation White Papers | Webcasts