Virtual Instruments CEO: We're the bridge between physical and virtual
John Thompson explains why the company he now heads offers a better way to manage the performance of cloud infrastructure
Infoworld - Every transition in computing spawns a new market in management tools -- the evolution to highly virtualized data centers and the cloud is no different. Virtual Instruments is squarely focused on delivering the next generation of management for, as its name implies, this new virtual world. But Virtual Instruments is different from other startups trying to tackle the virtual management challenge.
First, it's not a start-up at all. Rather, the company began as a 2008 spin-out from optical network company Finisar Corp. Second, Virtual Instruments sports one of the tech industry's most seasoned chief executive officers in John Thompson, former CEO of security vendor Symantec and, earlier, top executive at IBM. In this installment of the CEO Interview Series, Thompson spoke with InfoWorld Editor-in-Chief Eric Knorr and IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about what makes Virtual Instruments different from existing management companies and why enterprises from PayPal to Unilever have committed to the company's technology.
[ Find out the topics and issues affecting tech's biggest names and news makers as revealed in the IDGE Insider CEO interview series. | Stay ahead of the key tech business news with InfoWorld's Today's Headlines: First Look newsletter. | Read Bill Snyder's Tech's Bottom Line blog for what the key business trends mean to you. ]
Q: What's the unique proposition behind Virtual Instruments and what's the value you deliver in this highly virtualized moving-to-cloud world?
A: What's very clear is that there is another transition under way in our industry. They happen about every eight to 10 years, and we're in the midst of yet another one -- one that, as I've said to many customers around the world, is inevitable. The physical, the virtual-to-cloud transition will happen, and what we're doing at Virtual Instruments is positioning our product platform to be the performance management platform for that environment.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Keeping UP with Mobile Trendsetters Global survey tracks achievements and challenges of mobile initiatives along with best practices for success.
- Architecting the Network of the Future Networks need to change, as does the way IT thinks about and manages them. In addition to reliability, IT must now add higher...
- How IT Organizations Can Achieve Relevance in the Age of Cloud A new approach to cloud optimization helps it meet business demands for rapid service delivery. Learn More>>
- eBook: An Executives' Guide: The Machine of the Future This eBook has been developed to help executives understand the value of M2M and IoT to enterprises. We will include a framework CEOs...
- Integrate to Accelerate: Evolving Your Integration Strategy to Extend Beyond IT Watch this webinar to hear Gartner analyst Benoit Lheureux's perspective on the forces driving the evolution of integration strategies, and get key recommendations...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All IT Transformation White Papers | Webcasts