Virtual Instruments CEO: We're the bridge between physical and virtual
John Thompson explains why the company he now heads offers a better way to manage the performance of cloud infrastructure
Infoworld - Every transition in computing spawns a new market in management tools -- the evolution to highly virtualized data centers and the cloud is no different. Virtual Instruments is squarely focused on delivering the next generation of management for, as its name implies, this new virtual world. But Virtual Instruments is different from other startups trying to tackle the virtual management challenge.
First, it's not a start-up at all. Rather, the company began as a 2008 spin-out from optical network company Finisar Corp. Second, Virtual Instruments sports one of the tech industry's most seasoned chief executive officers in John Thompson, former CEO of security vendor Symantec and, earlier, top executive at IBM. In this installment of the CEO Interview Series, Thompson spoke with InfoWorld Editor-in-Chief Eric Knorr and IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about what makes Virtual Instruments different from existing management companies and why enterprises from PayPal to Unilever have committed to the company's technology.
[ Find out the topics and issues affecting tech's biggest names and news makers as revealed in the IDGE Insider CEO interview series. | Stay ahead of the key tech business news with InfoWorld's Today's Headlines: First Look newsletter. | Read Bill Snyder's Tech's Bottom Line blog for what the key business trends mean to you. ]
Q: What's the unique proposition behind Virtual Instruments and what's the value you deliver in this highly virtualized moving-to-cloud world?
A: What's very clear is that there is another transition under way in our industry. They happen about every eight to 10 years, and we're in the midst of yet another one -- one that, as I've said to many customers around the world, is inevitable. The physical, the virtual-to-cloud transition will happen, and what we're doing at Virtual Instruments is positioning our product platform to be the performance management platform for that environment.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- Implementing Energy Efficient Data Centers This paper explains how to quantify the electricity savings and provides examples of methods that can greatly reduce electrical power consumption.
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing: Optimized Power, Cooling, and Management Maximizes Benefits The effects that the cloud and virtualization have on the data center are discussed and possible solutions or methods for dealing with them...
- Comparing Data Center Power Distribution Architectures Significant improvements in have been achieved in data center power distribution, increasing the options available for data centers. This paper compares five power...
- Implementing Hot and Cold Air Containment in Existing Data Centers This paper investigates the constraints, reviews all available containment methods, and provides recommendations for determining the best containment approach.
- Building Tomorrow's Data Center with Converged Technologies A number of forces are converging: the cloud, converged infrastructure, big data and fabric architectures to name a few.
- Virtual Desktop Must-haves: Cost-effectiveness, Scalability and Security Employees today expect to take their work anywhere and on any device. This BYOD mindset poses a dilemma for organizations that want to... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts