Virtual Instruments CEO: We're the bridge between physical and virtual
John Thompson explains why the company he now heads offers a better way to manage the performance of cloud infrastructure
Infoworld - Every transition in computing spawns a new market in management tools -- the evolution to highly virtualized data centers and the cloud is no different. Virtual Instruments is squarely focused on delivering the next generation of management for, as its name implies, this new virtual world. But Virtual Instruments is different from other startups trying to tackle the virtual management challenge.
First, it's not a start-up at all. Rather, the company began as a 2008 spin-out from optical network company Finisar Corp. Second, Virtual Instruments sports one of the tech industry's most seasoned chief executive officers in John Thompson, former CEO of security vendor Symantec and, earlier, top executive at IBM. In this installment of the CEO Interview Series, Thompson spoke with InfoWorld Editor-in-Chief Eric Knorr and IDG Enterprise Chief Content Officer John Gallant about what makes Virtual Instruments different from existing management companies and why enterprises from PayPal to Unilever have committed to the company's technology.
[ Find out the topics and issues affecting tech's biggest names and news makers as revealed in the IDGE Insider CEO interview series. | Stay ahead of the key tech business news with InfoWorld's Today's Headlines: First Look newsletter. | Read Bill Snyder's Tech's Bottom Line blog for what the key business trends mean to you. ]
Q: What's the unique proposition behind Virtual Instruments and what's the value you deliver in this highly virtualized moving-to-cloud world?
A: What's very clear is that there is another transition under way in our industry. They happen about every eight to 10 years, and we're in the midst of yet another one -- one that, as I've said to many customers around the world, is inevitable. The physical, the virtual-to-cloud transition will happen, and what we're doing at Virtual Instruments is positioning our product platform to be the performance management platform for that environment.
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- How 10GbE Network is the Backbone of the Virtual Data Center The shift to a virtual data center has put tremendous strain on legacy networks; driving the need for more speed, lower latency, more...
- Beyond Cost Savings: Justification for Virtualization Expansion It usually takes a "compelling event" before you consider expanding virtualization within your IT environment. Avoidance of new physical server purchases, an OS...
- Don't Get Stuck on Your Virtualization Journey A typical virtualization journey consists of three distinct phases that starts with virtualization and ends with the shift to an ITaaS model based...
- Infographic: Optimize VDI With EMC Flash See how EMC VDI solutions with flash technology transform desktop computing, enabling supercharged performance for organizations of all sizes.
- What are the desktop virtualization market trends and how can you successfully deploy your solution? You've probably heard about desktop virtualization -- and some of its benefits -- things like tighter security, streamlined management and lower costs. But...
- Enterprise Strategy Group Lab Review - Symantec NetBackup 7.6 for VMware This ESG Lab Validation report documents remote testing of Symantec NetBackup 7.6, with a focus on new integration with VMware. All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.