SAP details policies, pricing for linking cloud apps
In some cases, customers won't be charged extra to tie together cloud and on-premises apps, but in other instances it will cost more
IDG News Service - SAP has laid out a set of pricing and policies for tying together its array of cloud-based and on-premises applications, providing some options at no charge, but others that will cost customers additional money.
Application integration is a crucial question for SAP and its customers, particularly given the vigor with which the company has advocated for hybrid deployments that retain users' large investments in on-premises ERP (enterprise resource planning) and HCM (human capital management) software while adding new capabilities from the cloud.
A new cloud-based integration service is now available only as an additional option for SAP's Customer OnDemand application, but will be added to others, including Travel OnDemand and BizX Talent Management, the latter of which was gained through the acquisition of SuccessFactors, according to an internal SAP presentation which was given earlier this month.
Right now, SAP charges 7.5 percent of a Customer OnDemand subscription for the new cloud integration option, with a minimum pricing "floor" of A!2000 per month, according to a presentation slide. Pricing for adding it to other cloud apps is expected to take a similar approach.
The cloud integration service will be offered in stand-alone form in the second half of next year, according to the presentation.
SAP customers who have already invested in an on-premises NetWeaver Process Integration platform can use it instead of the new service, and won't be charged extra on top of their PI license. SAP is planning to release prebuilt integration mappings through its service marketplace for these customers.
SAP has also created a certification program for third-party data integration platforms such as IBM's Cast Iron and Mulesoft, for customers who want to interface SAP's cloud applications with non-SAP systems, according to the presentation.
In addition, customers who have standardized on non-SAP middleware can use it to build out integrations for SAP cloud applications, but this will take more time and cost additional money compared to prepackaged integrations, the presentation added.
Right now, SuccessFactors Employee Central is bundled with integration capabilities from Dell's Boomi software, and customers using the combination will be supported "for the terms of their subscription," according to a slide shown during the presentation.
In addition, "Boomi should not be explicitly positioned for any other SAP integration scenarios," as SAP will be building them out with PI and the new cloud integration service, a slide presentation stated.
One observer expressed a mixed opinion of SAP's integration plans.
"It's reasonable for SAP to charge for their integration platforms when it comes to SAP integrating with third-party vendors, or if customersA require a tool to handle unique business requirements," said Jarret Pazahanick, a veteran SAP HCM consultant and member of the vendor's Mentor program for especially involved community members.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- ERP in the Cloud and the Modern Business View IDC's White Paper, to review IDC CloudTrack Survey findings, gain expert insight into the challenges and opportunities the cloud presents, and determine...
- Oracle ERP Cloud Service - Back-Office Solutions that Keep You in Front Learn how you can harness the power of the cloud to run your business more effectively and lower upfront costs.
- Integration with Oracle Fusion Financials Cloud Service While moving your financial system to the cloud may seem straightforward, truly realizing the advantages of the cloud requires a complete understanding how...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
All Applications White Papers |