SAP details policies, pricing for linking cloud apps
In some cases, customers won't be charged extra to tie together cloud and on-premises apps, but in other instances it will cost more
IDG News Service - SAP has laid out a set of pricing and policies for tying together its array of cloud-based and on-premises applications, providing some options at no charge, but others that will cost customers additional money.
Application integration is a crucial question for SAP and its customers, particularly given the vigor with which the company has advocated for hybrid deployments that retain users' large investments in on-premises ERP (enterprise resource planning) and HCM (human capital management) software while adding new capabilities from the cloud.
A new cloud-based integration service is now available only as an additional option for SAP's Customer OnDemand application, but will be added to others, including Travel OnDemand and BizX Talent Management, the latter of which was gained through the acquisition of SuccessFactors, according to an internal SAP presentation which was given earlier this month.
Right now, SAP charges 7.5 percent of a Customer OnDemand subscription for the new cloud integration option, with a minimum pricing "floor" of A!2000 per month, according to a presentation slide. Pricing for adding it to other cloud apps is expected to take a similar approach.
The cloud integration service will be offered in stand-alone form in the second half of next year, according to the presentation.
SAP customers who have already invested in an on-premises NetWeaver Process Integration platform can use it instead of the new service, and won't be charged extra on top of their PI license. SAP is planning to release prebuilt integration mappings through its service marketplace for these customers.
SAP has also created a certification program for third-party data integration platforms such as IBM's Cast Iron and Mulesoft, for customers who want to interface SAP's cloud applications with non-SAP systems, according to the presentation.
In addition, customers who have standardized on non-SAP middleware can use it to build out integrations for SAP cloud applications, but this will take more time and cost additional money compared to prepackaged integrations, the presentation added.
Right now, SuccessFactors Employee Central is bundled with integration capabilities from Dell's Boomi software, and customers using the combination will be supported "for the terms of their subscription," according to a slide shown during the presentation.
In addition, "Boomi should not be explicitly positioned for any other SAP integration scenarios," as SAP will be building them out with PI and the new cloud integration service, a slide presentation stated.
One observer expressed a mixed opinion of SAP's integration plans.
"It's reasonable for SAP to charge for their integration platforms when it comes to SAP integrating with third-party vendors, or if customersA require a tool to handle unique business requirements," said Jarret Pazahanick, a veteran SAP HCM consultant and member of the vendor's Mentor program for especially involved community members.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Live Webcast Best Practices for the Hyperconverged Enterprise Network To the Age of Constant Connectivity and Information overload
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Government Agency Webifies Outdated COBOL Applications Let this CTO tell you how his agency converted 1980s-era green screens into an e-filing portal for the 100,000 cases handled each year...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts