SAP details policies, pricing for linking cloud apps
In some cases, customers won't be charged extra to tie together cloud and on-premises apps, but in other instances it will cost more
IDG News Service - SAP has laid out a set of pricing and policies for tying together its array of cloud-based and on-premises applications, providing some options at no charge, but others that will cost customers additional money.
Application integration is a crucial question for SAP and its customers, particularly given the vigor with which the company has advocated for hybrid deployments that retain users' large investments in on-premises ERP (enterprise resource planning) and HCM (human capital management) software while adding new capabilities from the cloud.
A new cloud-based integration service is now available only as an additional option for SAP's Customer OnDemand application, but will be added to others, including Travel OnDemand and BizX Talent Management, the latter of which was gained through the acquisition of SuccessFactors, according to an internal SAP presentation which was given earlier this month.
Right now, SAP charges 7.5 percent of a Customer OnDemand subscription for the new cloud integration option, with a minimum pricing "floor" of A!2000 per month, according to a presentation slide. Pricing for adding it to other cloud apps is expected to take a similar approach.
The cloud integration service will be offered in stand-alone form in the second half of next year, according to the presentation.
SAP customers who have already invested in an on-premises NetWeaver Process Integration platform can use it instead of the new service, and won't be charged extra on top of their PI license. SAP is planning to release prebuilt integration mappings through its service marketplace for these customers.
SAP has also created a certification program for third-party data integration platforms such as IBM's Cast Iron and Mulesoft, for customers who want to interface SAP's cloud applications with non-SAP systems, according to the presentation.
In addition, customers who have standardized on non-SAP middleware can use it to build out integrations for SAP cloud applications, but this will take more time and cost additional money compared to prepackaged integrations, the presentation added.
Right now, SuccessFactors Employee Central is bundled with integration capabilities from Dell's Boomi software, and customers using the combination will be supported "for the terms of their subscription," according to a slide shown during the presentation.
In addition, "Boomi should not be explicitly positioned for any other SAP integration scenarios," as SAP will be building them out with PI and the new cloud integration service, a slide presentation stated.
One observer expressed a mixed opinion of SAP's integration plans.
"It's reasonable for SAP to charge for their integration platforms when it comes to SAP integrating with third-party vendors, or if customersA require a tool to handle unique business requirements," said Jarret Pazahanick, a veteran SAP HCM consultant and member of the vendor's Mentor program for especially involved community members.
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts