Feds arrest Ceglia for trying to defraud Facebook, Zuckerberg
N.Y. man accused of billion-dollar scheme to cheat social network
Computerworld - The FBI has arrested Paul Ceglia for attempting to defraud Facebook and its co-founder Mark Zuckerberg in a scheme to grab a large stake in the company and billions of dollars.
Federal agents picked up 39-year-old Ceglia at his home in Wellsville, N.Y. this morning, according to a report in Forbes.
Ceglia first filed a lawsuit in June 2010, claiming he signed a contract with Zuckerberg that entitles him to 84% ownership of what is easily the world's largest social network. In an amended filing last year, though, Ceglia modified his claim, alleging he was owed 50% of Zuckerberg's stake in the social networking company.
According to a criminal complaint filed with the Southern District of New York, Ceglia is accused of using the U.S. Postal Service as part of a fraudulent scam against Facebook and Zuckerberg.
Ceglia is being charged with mail fraud and wire fraud.
"Ceglia filed a federal lawsuit falsely claiming that he was entitled to at least a 50% interest in Facebook," the complaint contends. "Ceglia has deliberately engaged in a systematic effort to defraud Facebook and Zuckerberg and to corrupt the federal judicial process."
Not surprisingly, today's arrest was met with excitement at Facebook.
"We commend the United States Attorney for charging Ceglia with federal crimes in connection with his fraudulent lawsuit against Facebook," Orin Snyder, a partner with Gibson Dunn, attorneys for Facebook and Zuckerberg, said in an email to Computerworld. "Ceglia used the federal court system to perpetuate his fraud and will now be held accountable for his criminal scheme."
The complaint also contends that Ceglia and Zuckerberg had signed a contract between them, but it had nothing to do with Facebook, did not reference Facebook and did not give Ceglia any interest in the social network.
And federal investigators allege that as part of his scheme, Ceglia manufactured and destroyed evidence, for instance replacing a page of the original contract with a fraudulent one that made it look like Zuckerberg had offered Ceglia interest in the company.
The complaint even has a section titled: The Founding of Facebook Did Not Involve Ceglia.
In 2011, Facebook attorneys filed court documents saying they had found evidence that Ceglia had concealed or destroyed relevant documents, including six missing USB drives.
The social network's lawyers said they had uncovered an "authentic" contract that showed that Ceglia wasn't owed any interest in Facebook.
Sharon Gaudin covers the Internet and Web 2.0, emerging technologies, and desktop and laptop chips for Computerworld. Follow Sharon on Twitter at @sgaudin, on Google+ or subscribe to Sharon's RSS feed . Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Update: Facebook back up after crash
- What to expect in Facebook's earnings call today
- Could you quit Facebook for 99 days?
- Facebook is a school yard bully that's going down
- EPIC says Facebook 'messed with people's minds,' seeks FTC sanctions
- 7 things you need to know about Facebook's mood experiment
- Facebook emotional manipulation test turns users into 'lab rats'
- Facebook tries to stop Snapchat drain with Slingshot
- TMI! Facebook moves to stop over-sharing
- Inside Facebook's brilliant plan to hog your data
Read more about Social Media in Computerworld's Social Media Topic Center.
- Social Media in Technology: A Unified Strategy for Success Find out how social media is sparking a new era of customer and industry-understanding in technology enterprises and how industry leaders are overcoming...
- Cloud Computing Drives IT and Business Agility Hybrid Cloud Accelerates Time to Value What is the main focus for IT in your organization - cost or agility? Many IT discussions today focus on cost controls rather...
- Infographic:10 Reasons to Choose vCloud Air Looking to create an agile, productive, and efficient IT environment? Read this simple infographic to learn about the benefits that VMware vCloud® Air™...
- Data Visualization Techniques: From Basics to Big Data with SAS Visual Analytics This paper discusses some of the basic issues concerning data visualization, from data size and column composition, to solving unique challenges presented by...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics... All Social Media White Papers | Webcasts