Casio shows new $2,500 Android scanner-tablet for businesses
The Japanese company's new device uses its front-mounted camera to read in documents, hand-written notes, and business cards
IDG News Service - Casio is preparing to launch a new Android tablet for businesses that acts as a personal scanner.
The company's new Paper Writer line has a camera that faces downward in front of the screen, to take images of documents placed in front of the device. The tablet has special software for character recognition that works on hand-written notes, and can recognize symbols such as asterisks and dollar signs as tags for where to save digitized documents.
(See a YouTube video of the tablet in action.)
Notes to be scanned are strapped into the inside of the tablet's case, and any paper with reasonable contrast to the ink used will work. The scanning feature also works with business cards, although the character recognition was a bit off at a recent demonstration in Tokyo.
The Paper Writer is mainly meant for businesses, and a basic model will go on sale in Japan next month for $2,500. Casio said that it expects corporate customers to buy the devices in bulk, which will bring down per-unit prices.
The tablet has a 10-inch screen, a 1.5GHz dual-core processor, and a rubberized case for resistance to water and shocks. It has a replaceable 7,000mAh battery, on which it will run for about 12 hours.
The tablets will launch in Japan in November, and a spokesman said the they will go on sale outside Japan soon after.
Casio is promising to support the tablets for several years, so that customers won't have keep upgrading their hardware.
- Silicon Valley's 19 Coolest Places to Work
- Is Windows 8 Development Worth the Trouble?
- 8 Books Every IT Leader Should Read This Year
- 10 Hot Hadoop Startups to Watch
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Assessing ROI for Mobile Acceleration Clients This EMA® paper examines the business case for deploying mobile WAN optimization client software and builds a ROI model based on the experiences...
- The Apple-ization of the Enterprise: Understanding IT's New World Read this paper for how to tackle Apple-ization (and the related consumerization of IT and Bring Your Own Device/BYOD).
- A Practical Introduction to Enterprise Mobility Management Read the white paper to better understand the basic concepts within mobility management and to learn how you can apply EMM technology to...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Mobile Security: Containerizing Enterprise Data In this on-demand webinar, Fixmo's Lee Cocking, VP of corporate strategy, explains why Apple-ization trends like mobility and "bring-your-own-device" (BYOD) are driving the... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!