Apple increases App Store prices in Europe
App Store prices increased for European consumers paying in euros to compensate for exchange rate changes, Apple said
IDG News Service - Apple has increased the prices of apps sold through its iTunes App Store in Europe because of exchange rate changes, it said on Friday. The minimum price for an app in the Euro zone rose to $1.15.
App Store users who tried to purchase a new app from the App Store on Thursday night in Europe were notified that the service was temporarily unavailable. An hour or so later the service was back up, with higher prices in euros for all apps in store.
Apple forces developers to put their apps into one of a limited number of price "tiers", with Apple itself deciding what price will be charged for each tier.
The proportion of the price going to developers stayed roughly the same, with Apple taking about 39% of the price and developers 61%.
Only euro pricing changed, said Apple spokesman Alan Hely in an email. "From time to time Apple adjusts prices of products in countries due to changes in exchange rates," he wrote.
Thomas Engel, Creative Director at Amsterdam-based mobile development firm The Saints, thinks value-added taxes may also have played a role.
"I think they compensated for currency and VAT changes," he said.
"App providers are probably glad," he said, as they get a little more money with the new prices.
"It feels like this is the new standard for the coming years," said Engel, who added that it isn't Apples style to update prices frequently. "We will have to accept it."
Besides updating euro app pricing, Apple also allowed buyers in a number of countries to pay in their local currency rather than in U.S. dollars as before. New currencies supported include Russian rubles, Turkish lira, Indian rupees, Indonesian rupiah, Israeli shekels, Saudi Arabian riyals, South African rand, United Arab Emirates dirhams and Danish kroner.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!