Apple increases App Store prices in Europe
App Store prices increased for European consumers paying in euros to compensate for exchange rate changes, Apple said
IDG News Service - Apple has increased the prices of apps sold through its iTunes App Store in Europe because of exchange rate changes, it said on Friday. The minimum price for an app in the Euro zone rose to $1.15.
App Store users who tried to purchase a new app from the App Store on Thursday night in Europe were notified that the service was temporarily unavailable. An hour or so later the service was back up, with higher prices in euros for all apps in store.
Apple forces developers to put their apps into one of a limited number of price "tiers", with Apple itself deciding what price will be charged for each tier.
The proportion of the price going to developers stayed roughly the same, with Apple taking about 39% of the price and developers 61%.
Only euro pricing changed, said Apple spokesman Alan Hely in an email. "From time to time Apple adjusts prices of products in countries due to changes in exchange rates," he wrote.
Thomas Engel, Creative Director at Amsterdam-based mobile development firm The Saints, thinks value-added taxes may also have played a role.
"I think they compensated for currency and VAT changes," he said.
"App providers are probably glad," he said, as they get a little more money with the new prices.
"It feels like this is the new standard for the coming years," said Engel, who added that it isn't Apples style to update prices frequently. "We will have to accept it."
Besides updating euro app pricing, Apple also allowed buyers in a number of countries to pay in their local currency rather than in U.S. dollars as before. New currencies supported include Russian rubles, Turkish lira, Indian rupees, Indonesian rupiah, Israeli shekels, Saudi Arabian riyals, South African rand, United Arab Emirates dirhams and Danish kroner.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!