Nexus 4 smartphone details outed by U.K. retailer
LG-manufactured device has a 4.7-inch screen and runs a quad-core processor
IDG News Service - Google's next smartphone, the Nexus 4, will have a 4.7-inch screen and start shipping on Oct. 30, according to U.K. retailer Carphone Warehouse.
The follow-up to the Galaxy Nexus, which was announced in October last year, is widely expected to be unveiled at an event in New York on Oct. 29.
While the Galaxy Nexus was manufactured by Samsung Electronics, Google has this time chosen to work with LG Electronics.
The black Nexus 4 has a Gorilla Glass 2-protected 4.7-inch display with 1280-by-768 pixel resolution, and a 1.5GHz quad-core processor from Qualcomm.
That compares to the Galaxy Nexus which has a 1.2 GHZ dual core processor and a 4.65-inch display with 1280-by-720 pixel resolution. The two phones are almost identical in design.
The Nexus 4 will run either version 4.1.2 or 4.2 (both are listed) of the Android operating system and it will be 9.1 millimeters thick, according to Carphone Warehouse's specification.
The posted specification also includes NFC, an 8-megapixel camera and 8GB of integrated storage. The latter is much less than what competing products have. For example, HTC recently announced the One X+, which has up to 64GB of onboard storage.
Besides a new smartphone, Google is also rumored to be upgrading and expanding its line of Nexus tablets, including a new model with a 10-inch screen, on Oct 29.
The timing of the official announcement is hardly a coincidence. Microsoft will also debut Windows Phone 8 on the same day, and smartphones based on the operating system will start shipping in November.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Comprehensive Advanced Threat Defense The hot topic in the information security industry these days is "Advanced Threat Defense" (ATD). This paper describes a comprehensive, network-based approach to...
- Advanced Threat Defense: A Comprehensive Approach In this interview, Peter George, president, General Dynamics Fidelis Cybersecurity Solutions, explains why we need more than anti-malware, and what constitutes a comprehensive...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- The Growing Demand for Rich Media This white paper discusses how IBM Customer Experience Suite Rich Media Edition can automate rich media workflows, from collaborating with creative agencies and...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Android White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!