Labor strikes could affect upcoming SAP user conferences in Madrid
It's not clear whether the events will be canceled or delayed, but SAP is weighing its options
IDG News Service - Labor strikes planned for November in Portugal, Spain and Greece may force the delay or cancellation of SAP's Sapphire Now and Tech Ed conferences in Madrid.
"As you may have seen in the press, the labor unions in Spain, Portugal, and Greece have announced a general strike on November 14, 2012," SAP said in a message on the events' website. "We are reviewing the impact to SAPPHIRE NOW + SAP TechEd Madrid and will share additional information by Friday, October 26."
SAP's events are scheduled for Nov. 13-16 and expected to draw thousands of attendees.
"At this stage we are assessing the situation," SAP spokesman Jim Dever said Wednesday. "That's as much as we can say." SAP decided to put the post on the website "as the responsible thing, to let people know we're aware of [the strikes]."
Among the highlights of the show, if it goes on as planned, will be a keynote from co-CEO Jim Hagemann Snabe, who will discuss the company's cloud computing strategy.
Chris Kanaracus covers enterprise software and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Chris' email address is Chris_Kanaracus@idg.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts