Asus announces sub-$500 Windows 8 tablet
VivoTab Smart has 10.1-inch screen and comes with Windows 8 and an Intel Clover Trail processor
IDG News Service - Asustek Computer on Tuesday introduced the VivoTab Smart, a tablet computer with a 10.1-inch screen that will be available with Windows 8 starting at $499.
The tablet resembles Asustek's existing Transformer Pads, which have a similar screen size and run Google's Android OS. The VivoTab Smart was announced at an Asus press event in New York City on Tuesday.
Asus has also announced other tablets, including the 11.6-inch VivoTab with Windows 8, which starts at $799, and the VivoTab RT, which starts at $599 and runs the Windows RT version of Windows 8 for ARM-based processors.
The Windows 8 tablets announced so far with Intel processors have been priced above $500. Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 2 will cost $649, while Hewlett-Packard's ElitePad 900 tablet has a tentative price tag of $699. The VivoTab Smart matches the price of Microsoft's own Surface tablet, which has an ARM processor and runs Windows RT.
The VivoTab Smart comes with Intel's Atom Z2760 processor, code-named Clover Trail, which was designed specifically for tablets. An Asus representative said the tablet offers eight to nine hours of battery life. It has an 8-megapixel camera, but other hardware details were not immediately available.
Asus will also sell an optional screen protector and wireless keyboard called the TranSleeve. It connects to the tablet magnetically, much like the Touch Cover for Microsoft's Surface.
Asus is also selling an optional keyboard dock that attaches to the tablet, turning it into a laptop.
The company didn't give a specific availability date for the VivoTab Smart, but it has said its VivoTab tablets will ship in the coming weeks.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Redefine Your IT Operations: Remote Office IT Has Never Been Simpler Join us to see why PC Pro named Dell PowerEdge VRTX the "2013 Server of the Year." PowerEdge VRTX may be just what...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!