Asus announces sub-$500 Windows 8 tablet
VivoTab Smart has 10.1-inch screen and comes with Windows 8 and an Intel Clover Trail processor
IDG News Service - Asustek Computer on Tuesday introduced the VivoTab Smart, a tablet computer with a 10.1-inch screen that will be available with Windows 8 starting at $499.
The tablet resembles Asustek's existing Transformer Pads, which have a similar screen size and run Google's Android OS. The VivoTab Smart was announced at an Asus press event in New York City on Tuesday.
Asus has also announced other tablets, including the 11.6-inch VivoTab with Windows 8, which starts at $799, and the VivoTab RT, which starts at $599 and runs the Windows RT version of Windows 8 for ARM-based processors.
The Windows 8 tablets announced so far with Intel processors have been priced above $500. Lenovo's ThinkPad Tablet 2 will cost $649, while Hewlett-Packard's ElitePad 900 tablet has a tentative price tag of $699. The VivoTab Smart matches the price of Microsoft's own Surface tablet, which has an ARM processor and runs Windows RT.
The VivoTab Smart comes with Intel's Atom Z2760 processor, code-named Clover Trail, which was designed specifically for tablets. An Asus representative said the tablet offers eight to nine hours of battery life. It has an 8-megapixel camera, but other hardware details were not immediately available.
Asus will also sell an optional screen protector and wireless keyboard called the TranSleeve. It connects to the tablet magnetically, much like the Touch Cover for Microsoft's Surface.
Asus is also selling an optional keyboard dock that attaches to the tablet, turning it into a laptop.
The company didn't give a specific availability date for the VivoTab Smart, but it has said its VivoTab tablets will ship in the coming weeks.
- Accelerating Cloud Deployment and Operations with Managed Services Companies that do not have sufficient in-house expertise to either deploy or maintain an IaaS cloud should turn to Managed Service Providers .
- Enable secure remote access to 3D data without sacrificing visual perfomance Design and manufacturing companies must adapt quickly to the demands of an increasingly global and competitive economy. To speed time to market for...
- Simplifying Product Design In A Complex World Product design engineering has moved far beyond the confines of ever-more powerful workstations. Companies can't afford to restrict projects to using only local...
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center...
- Keep Servers Up and Running and Attackers in the Dark An SSL/TLS handshake requires at least 10 times more processing power on a server than on the client. SSL renegotiation attacks can readily... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts