HP launches cloud service for the IT help desk
HP Service Anywhere offers IT service management capabilities as a service
IDG News Service - Hewlett-Packard has launched a hosted offering called HP Service Anywhere, providing IT service management (ITSM) software over the Internet.
"We believe that SaaS as a delivery model and as a business model makes sense for many of our customers," said Lee Nackman, who is HP's vice president and general manager for the company's service and portfolio management software.
Like on-premise ITSM software, HP Service Anywhere provides a work area for help desk personnel to document and resolve IT problems within an enterprise. Typically, service desk personnel use ITSM software to document and help troubleshoot problems that occur in IT systems.
Unlike using on-premise ITSM software, however, customers will not have to worry about upgrading the software, nor applying patches. Scaling the software to handle additional users should be eased through the cloud approach as well.
This offering is a version of HP's IT Services Management ITSM software that has been redesigned for cloud usage.
The service doesn't have all the features of HP's IT Services Management software. Capabilities in change impact analysis or request management aren't available now on the cloud version, though HP will add these capabilities in time. The cloud version, however, will also feature a number of features not available in the on-premises software package. The service features a new Web user interface, and an easier way of customizing the service to individual use cases. The company claims that all configuration can be done through the user interface and users won't have to write their own scripts to execute some desired capability.
The service also has a number of social media features, including Internet chat with multiple users and a directory listing of expertise. It uses the taxonomy from the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) to describe IT systems and problems, which will be essential for organizations standardizing on ITIL. The service can also draw on HP Universal Configuration Management Database (UCMDB) software, which can hold configuration information about IT assets.
The service can be connected to other IT management software through a Web services interfaces, email or HP's set of connectors for its IT Services Management software. It can also use data from an organization's LDAP (Lightweight Directory Access Protocol) directory for user names, permissions and other personnel information.
HP is marketing this service to organizations that have 25 to 500 user desk users. Pricing for HP Service Anywhere starts at $89 per user per month.
- CIOs Deliver Productivity Breakthroughs with Intelligent Digital Signage Retailers have long recognized the influence that digital signage provides over a shopper's point-of-purchase decision making process.
- The Forrester Wave™: File Sync And Share Platforms, Q3 2013 Download this Analyst report to read why IBM SmartCloud for Social Business was cited as a leader in The Forrester Wave™: File Sync...
- Brunswick Case Study By implementing IBM SmartCloud services, Brunswick estimates that it avoided hundreds of thousands of dollars in capital expenditures, and is saving up to...
- Cloud-to-Cloud Backup Case Study: AMAG Pharmaceuticals As an IT pioneer in the pharmaceuticals industry, AMAG realized that SaaS backup and recovery would give them the confidence to fully embrace...
- ElectricAccelerator: Dramatically Faster Builds and Test ElectricAccelerator dramatically speeds up builds and test by parallelizing jobs across clusters of physical or cloud CPUs.
- Electric Cloud: Your AnthillPro Alternative Many organizations have become leery about AnthillPro since its acquisition by IBM. In this webinar, learn why ElectricCommander is an excellent alternative to... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!