Microsoft all out of Surface RT tablets
More expensive models join $499 tablet on backorder
Computerworld - Microsoft has run through all pre-launch supplies of its Surface RT tablet, forcing U.S. and Canadian customers who want one Friday to head to the company's permanent and special holiday "pop-up" stores.
As of Saturday, the $599 32GB and $699 64GB models packaged with a Touch Cover were shipping one to two weeks after ordering.
The least-expensive Surface RT, a $499 32GB device that omitted the cover-slash-keyboard, has been backordered since last Wednesday, a day after Microsoft began taking pre-orders. On Saturday, that tablet's delay-before-shipping status remained at three weeks.
Microsoft's Canadian, French, German and U.K. stores also were out of Surface RTs. The Canadian and U.K. online stores showed one to two week delays for the two more-expensive models, and "Temporarily sold out" for the $499 tablet. The French and German outlets said all models were backordered one to two weeks.
As observers have noted, it's impossible to gauge the significance of the sell-out without knowing how many units Microsoft had allocated for pre-orders. According to some reports, Microsoft has placed orders with Asian manufacturers to produce 3 million to 5 million tablets during the fourth quarter.
Customers who want a Surface RT this week will have to trot to a Microsoft store.
Microsoft has several dozen stores in the U.S. and Canada, but none in other markets. The majority of those outlets -- 34 by last count -- are so-called "pop-up" stores, smaller, temporary locations to be open only through the holiday season at malls and shopping centers.
All store locations, including the pop-ups, are listed on the Microsoft website.
Gregg Keizer covers Microsoft, security issues, Apple, Web browsers and general technology breaking news for Computerworld. Follow Gregg on Twitter at @gkeizer, or subscribe to Gregg's RSS feed . His e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Microsoft support tells Surface Pro 2 owners firmware fix will ship Jan. 14
- As customers fume, Microsoft promises Surface Pro 2 firmware fix ASAP
- Analyst credits Surface sell-out to Microsoft swinging conservative
- Best Buy does what Microsoft won't: Takes Surface tablets in trade
- Deja vu all over again: Microsoft warns of Surface 2 sell-out
- Microsoft steers same strategic course in Surface do-over
- Dumping a Surface? eBay averages double the return of a buyback vendor
- Microsoft's Surface to be under revenue microscope
- Microsoft's most loyal users ask for Surface trade-in program
- Microsoft takes second swing at tablets with new Surface 2 lineup
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Mobile Applications Case Study: 8 Billion Transactions a Day The story documents how the online brokerage company tradeMONSTER created a custom mobile app and the success gleaned from this initiative. Also covered...
- Who's afraid of the big (data) bad wolf? Survive the big data storm by getting ahead of integration and governance functional requirements This paper provides a detailed review of the best practices clients should consider before embarking on their big data integration projects.
- Understanding big data so you can act with confidence Automating information integration and governance and employing it at the point of data creation helps organizations boost confidence in their big data.
- Mobile Apps and Devices Slash Customer Cycle Time Consolidated Engineering Laboratories' field employees used to collect data on triplicate forms that were sometimes hard to read and difficult to manage. After...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts