DHS official suggests sharing resources to mitigate cyberattacks
Collaboration could cut the cost of attack mitigation between similar companies, suggests a Homeland Security official
IDG News Service - Groups of companies in the same industry could pool infrastructure resources to help each other mitigate the effects of cyberattacks and work together on security issues, a senior official in the U.S. Department of Homeland Security suggested on Friday.
The comments by Mark Weatherford, deputy undersecretary for cybersecurity, come as a handful of American banks are dealing with a fourth week of DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks on their websites.
DDoS attacks are one of the simplest forms of cyberattack and seek to push websites offline by overloading them with junk traffic so they cannot handle legitimate requests from users.
The attacks have hit banks including Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, PNC Financial Services Group, Citigroup, Bank of America and JPMorgan Chase, and have been claimed by hackers in Iran.
"This has been an eye-opening experience for a lot of very, very large organizations," Weatherford said. "It's got a lot of people's attention. Not just the banks, but the ISPs and some of the other third-party providers as well."
Weatherford was speaking at a cybersecurity awareness conference in Santa Clara, California, that was organized by the Bay Area Council, a public policy advocacy group made up of local companies.
"How about developing a co-op kind of a model for these Web content delivery providers, like an Akamai or Prolexic or some of those folks, where you buy a bunch of servers, more than any one company might need at one time, but you co-op that for like-minded organizations and when someone needs that kind of service you point it at them and they have it available to them," he said.
"I can tell you, because these big banks have just gone through it, they did not have enough capacity, or they barely had enough capacity [because] no one was hurt too bad over the last couple of weeks, but we need to think about different ways of sharing resources among like-minded organizations," said Weatherford.
Weatherford said he made the suggestion at a cybersecurity forum held by the National Cyber Security Alliance in New York on Monday that included representatives of some U.S. banks in the audience.
He preceded his remarks on Friday by noting, "I have no idea if this is legal or conceptually even possible, but it's something to think about."
Martyn Williams covers mobile telecoms, Silicon Valley and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Martyn on Twitter at @martyn_williams. Martyn's e-mail address is email@example.com
This pilot fish is a contractor at a military base, working on some very cool fire-control systems for tanks. But when he spots something obviously wrong during a live-fire test, he can't get the firing-range commander's attention.
- IT Certification Study Tips
- Register for this Computerworld Insider Study Tip guide and gain access to hundreds of premium content articles, cheat sheets, product reviews and more.
- Reduce federal infrastructure risk with compliance management and situational awareness
- IBM continuous monitoring and management solutions deliver real-time situational awareness to help federal agencies understand vulnerabilities, and protect the infrastructure.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery
- Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery
- Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets
- Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- Trends Shaping Software Management: 2014
- Most IT executives recognize the relationship between mobile computing and worker productivity, and have long issued notebook computers and other mobile devices to... All Government IT White Papers
- IBM FlashSystem V840: Leveraging Software-Defined Flash to Drive Your Business With end-to-end, tightly integrated functionality and super-fast flash technology, products like IBM FlashSystem V840 Enterprise Performance Solution empower businesses to leverage the efficiency...
- Leveraging Flash Storage to Accelerate Oracle Real Application Clusters Join this webinar to understand the latest solid-state storage trends, the specific applications driving solid-state storage deployments and the benefits of deploying the...
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to...
- The Key to Happiness: Throw out Your Data Warehouse In this webinar, Kerry Reitnauer, Director, Solution Architect at FairPoint Communications will discuss the challenges the data warehouse brought, how they migrated to...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- All Government IT Webcasts