Tata beats rival Infosys in revenue, profit growth
The company reported revenue and profit growth across industries and markets
IDG News Service - Tata Consultancy Services on Friday reported strong revenue and profit growth in the third quarter, citing a pick-up in discretionary spending by customers.
Revenue in the quarter for India's largest outsourcer was $2.85 billion, up by 13% from the same quarter last year, while net income at $643 million was up almost 22%, in a financial report complying with IFRS (international financial reporting standards).
In contrast, Infosys, the country's second largest outsourcer, had a more pessimistic outlook and blamed continued uncertainty in spending when it reported last week that its revenue for the quarter was $1.8 billion, up only 2.9% from a year ago. Net income was $431 million, up 4.9% from a year earlier.
Companies are responding differently to the challenging environment, said Sudin Apte, principal analyst and CEO of Offshore Insights in Pune. TCS has invested in domain expertise, account management and in new technologies like cloud and mobile, while Infosys has been slower in execution, he added.
TCS saw growth across all its key markets like North America, U.K and Europe, and across industries, said N. Chandrasekaran, CEO and managing director at a press briefing in Mumbai on Friday.
Business volumes were up 5% driven by the company's new service offerings, Chandrasekaran said.
TCS' revenue growth is good given the current business environment but far lower than the growth it has reported in the past, Apte said. In the third quarter of last year, for example, revenue grew by a whopping 26%.
The market for Indian outsourcers continues to be slow, though an improvement is expected in the next six months, Apte said.
TCS added 10,531 net new employees in the quarter, taking the total number of staff at the end of the quarter to 254,076. It had 41 new clients in the quarter.
North America accounted for 52.8% of revenue while Europe's share of revenue was 27%.
A sharp depreciation of the rupee against the U.S. dollar boosted revenue growth in rupee terms by 34% in the quarter from a year ago, while net profit was up 44%.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All IT Outsourcing White Papers | Webcasts