Microsoft hopes to lure users away from VMware with new migration tool
Virtual Machine Converter converts virtual machines from vSphere to Hyper-V formats
IDG News Service - Microsoft's free Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) tool is now available for download. The tool is used to convert virtual machines that run on VMware products into a format compatible with Microsoft's own virtualization environment, Hyper-V, the company said in a blog post on Thursday.
MVMC converts VMware vSphere virtual machines or virtual disks stored using the VMDK format into Hyper-V compatible versions.
A virtual machine encapsulates an entire server or desktop environment in a file, while the VMDK (virtual machine disk) format includes the virtual machine and how it is stored, information which then can be used to provision, patch and backup the environment, according to VMware.
MVMC converts virtual machines created with vSphere 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0, which can then run on Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and the Hyper-V Server versions of those two operating systems, which have been stripped down to just run virtualization workloads.
Administrators can choose between a version of the conversion tool with a graphical user interface (GUI), which includes a wizard to simplify the conversion work, or one with a command-line interface.
The tool is part of Microsoft's Switch to Hyper-V program, which it announced at its Worldwide Partner Conference earlier this year. Besides the MVMC tool, the program also offers other resources such as best practices to help take the risk out of migrations, according to Microsoft.
A beta version of the VMware console plugin version of MVMC is also available for download, but Microsoft didn't provide any information about when a production ready version will be available.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extending the benefits of desktop virtualization to mobile laptop users Desktop virtualization is attractive to organizations of all types and sizes worldwide because of its many compelling benefits. However, there is a gap...
- Top 10 reasons to strengthen information security with desktop virtualization While technologies such as firewalls remain an important base, they're increasingly bypassed. What's needed is a new security layer. Desktop virtualization provides that...
- Improving IT Efficiencies: Four Advantages of Multi-Tenant Data Centers Increasing demands on IT are forcing organizations to rethink their data center options. For many organizations, that means turning to the flexibility afforded...
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Five Things Every VM Admin Needs to Know Learn how to make it much easier to visualize, analyze, optimize and automate your virtual environment. Watch this recorded webcast.
- Top 9 Virtualization Optimization Tips and Tricks Most virtualization admins spend a lot of time deploying and configuring new VM's, setting up new virtual environments and fighting fires. This doesn't... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts