Microsoft hopes to lure users away from VMware with new migration tool
Virtual Machine Converter converts virtual machines from vSphere to Hyper-V formats
IDG News Service - Microsoft's free Virtual Machine Converter (MVMC) tool is now available for download. The tool is used to convert virtual machines that run on VMware products into a format compatible with Microsoft's own virtualization environment, Hyper-V, the company said in a blog post on Thursday.
MVMC converts VMware vSphere virtual machines or virtual disks stored using the VMDK format into Hyper-V compatible versions.
A virtual machine encapsulates an entire server or desktop environment in a file, while the VMDK (virtual machine disk) format includes the virtual machine and how it is stored, information which then can be used to provision, patch and backup the environment, according to VMware.
MVMC converts virtual machines created with vSphere 4.0, 4.1 and 5.0, which can then run on Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and the Hyper-V Server versions of those two operating systems, which have been stripped down to just run virtualization workloads.
Administrators can choose between a version of the conversion tool with a graphical user interface (GUI), which includes a wizard to simplify the conversion work, or one with a command-line interface.
The tool is part of Microsoft's Switch to Hyper-V program, which it announced at its Worldwide Partner Conference earlier this year. Besides the MVMC tool, the program also offers other resources such as best practices to help take the risk out of migrations, according to Microsoft.
A beta version of the VMware console plugin version of MVMC is also available for download, but Microsoft didn't provide any information about when a production ready version will be available.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- 5 Reasons To Migrate From Cisco (ACE) to Riverbed Stingray ADC As you consider refreshing your legacy Cisco ACE application delivery infrastructure, consider migrating to the Riverbed® Stingray™ family of products and learn the...
- The Sky's the Limit for Eclipse Aerospace and VCE This case study highlights how Eclipse was able to unlock critical IP, support business growth, dial up or down resources without having to...
- Implementing Agile Systems Management in Cloud and Virtual Infrastructure The solution to the obstacle stopping enterprises from realizing the benefits of cloud computing- how to extend existing enterprise management applications to the...
- Maximize Efficiency in Your Virtual Environment with Converged Solutions Efficiency is the key to success in IT, especially in a virtual environment. But traditional infrastructure management and inflexible architectures can be costly...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All Virtualization White Papers | Webcasts