Enterprise tools added to Google Search Appliance
Computerworld - Google upgraded its Search Appliance for the enterprise to help workers find information stored anywhere in their organizations.
Google Search Appliance 7.0, which went on sale Oct. 16, is designed to allow administrators to add information from the cloud, social networking sites, secure storage sites on the Web, and Microsoft SharePoint 2010 files. It works with PCs, tablets and smartphones.
Among other improvements, "we've refined our relevance signals," said Matthew Eichner, general manager of Enterprise Search at Google, in a blog post. "Entity Recognition automatically identifies and suggests content you might be looking for," he noted, adding that GSA 7.0 also allows employees to add their own search results.
A new document preview feature allows users to see thumbnails and full-screen document previews alongside their search results.
IDC analyst David Schubmehl said users would like enterprise searches to be as easy as Web searches, noting that slow searches can hurt productivity. A 2009 IDC study found that the time spent searching for data averaged 8.8 hours per week per employee, at a cost of $14,209 per worker per year.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- A Reference Architecture for the Internet of Things The aim of this is to provide Architects and Developers of IoT projects with an effective starting point that covers the major requirements...
- How to Reduce Hardware & Infrastructure Costs Through Data In this paper, we take a look at how organizations are revisiting their network and server architecture in a bid to address the...
- Software Build Acceleration, Analytics and Build Clouds Discover how to dramatically speed up software builds by automatically distributing build jobs over scalable resource clouds and multi-core desktops, with potential savings...
- Printer Installer: Eliminating Print Servers Printer Installer is an on-premise web application that enables you to centrally manage and deploy Windows shared or direct iP printers.
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!