Enterprise tools added to Google Search Appliance
Computerworld - Google upgraded its Search Appliance for the enterprise to help workers find information stored anywhere in their organizations.
Google Search Appliance 7.0, which went on sale Oct. 16, is designed to allow administrators to add information from the cloud, social networking sites, secure storage sites on the Web, and Microsoft SharePoint 2010 files. It works with PCs, tablets and smartphones.
Among other improvements, "we've refined our relevance signals," said Matthew Eichner, general manager of Enterprise Search at Google, in a blog post. "Entity Recognition automatically identifies and suggests content you might be looking for," he noted, adding that GSA 7.0 also allows employees to add their own search results.
A new document preview feature allows users to see thumbnails and full-screen document previews alongside their search results.
IDC analyst David Schubmehl said users would like enterprise searches to be as easy as Web searches, noting that slow searches can hurt productivity. A 2009 IDC study found that the time spent searching for data averaged 8.8 hours per week per employee, at a cost of $14,209 per worker per year.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Hardware in Computerworld's Hardware Topic Center.
- An Insightful Approach to Optimizing Mainframe MLC Spend This paper discusses how you can penetrate the complexity of IBM mainframe MLC products and the MLC price model to gain insight into...
- Meeting the Exploding Demand for New IT Services In this eBook, explore the top trends driving the New IT for IT Service Management, and how leading organizations are evolving to focus...
- Hybrid IT-A Low-Risk Path from On-Premise to ITaaS This white paper provides a strategy to move part or all of your ITSM suite to the cloud as a stepping stone to...
- Paving the Windows XP Migration Path to Success Support for Windows XP has ended, leaving organizations with three choices: Windows 8, Windows 7 or a combination. With the right planning and...
- Increase Your Data Center IQ Discover how to improve network efficiency, lower IT costs and more proactively manage your physical, virtual and cloud environments.
- Optimize Data Center Resources and Plan for the Future Eliminate over-provisioning and capacity shortfalls with pro-active capacity optimization. Join us in the evolution from capacity monitoring to capacity optimization in your data... All Hardware White Papers | Webcasts