Google CEO Larry Page speaks in public again
Google said in June that its CEO would not speak at upcoming company events for an unspecified period
IDG News Service - Google's CEO Larry Page spoke for the first time in public in months, addressing the company's annual Zeitgeist conference in Paradise Valley, Arizona on Tuesday, a spokesman confirmed.
Page has not spoken in public since June, when a company spokeswoman said he had lost his voice and would not be speaking at the company's upcoming public events, including the Google I/O developer conference scheduled for the next week.
Earlier Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt had told shareholders at Google's Mountain View headquarters that Page would not be speaking at the developer conference, and also possibly at the company's second-quarter earnings call, scheduled for July. Page did not speak at the shareholder event.
The Google spokeswoman did not provide information on the medical condition that had affected Page's voice. He was noticed to have difficulty in speaking and his voice was strained in his recent speeches at the time.
Page spoke at the Zeitgeist conference with a hoarse voice, but went on to address a number of issues including Google's negotiations with antitrust regulators. "Obviously, we are very big in terms of our impact, and with that comes scrutiny, and we accept and welcome that," said Page who added that the company has had a good debate with regulators. It has taken the approach to work with the regulators, and hopes it will continue to work well, he added.
"Over-regulation of the Internet and restriction in what people can do is a big risk for us," Page said.
Page, Google's co-founder, replaced Schmidt as CEO last year.
- IT Skills Proficiency Tool This tool helps you determine if your team has the right skill sets and what gaps need to be filled. By evaluating your...
- Market Overview: Digital Customer Experience Delivery Platforms Forrester states that businesses today struggle to understand and use the tools necessary to create and manage unified, multichannel digital customer experiences across...
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center. All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts