Google CEO Larry Page speaks in public again
Google said in June that its CEO would not speak at upcoming company events for an unspecified period
IDG News Service - Google's CEO Larry Page spoke for the first time in public in months, addressing the company's annual Zeitgeist conference in Paradise Valley, Arizona on Tuesday, a spokesman confirmed.
Page has not spoken in public since June, when a company spokeswoman said he had lost his voice and would not be speaking at the company's upcoming public events, including the Google I/O developer conference scheduled for the next week.
Earlier Google's executive chairman Eric Schmidt had told shareholders at Google's Mountain View headquarters that Page would not be speaking at the developer conference, and also possibly at the company's second-quarter earnings call, scheduled for July. Page did not speak at the shareholder event.
The Google spokeswoman did not provide information on the medical condition that had affected Page's voice. He was noticed to have difficulty in speaking and his voice was strained in his recent speeches at the time.
Page spoke at the Zeitgeist conference with a hoarse voice, but went on to address a number of issues including Google's negotiations with antitrust regulators. "Obviously, we are very big in terms of our impact, and with that comes scrutiny, and we accept and welcome that," said Page who added that the company has had a good debate with regulators. It has taken the approach to work with the regulators, and hopes it will continue to work well, he added.
"Over-regulation of the Internet and restriction in what people can do is a big risk for us," Page said.
Page, Google's co-founder, replaced Schmidt as CEO last year.
- Enabling Unified Service Delivery Management With the nGeniusONE Platform Today's IT organizations manage diverse business services comprising a host of applications running on many server farms within the data center.
- A Strategy for moving IT into the era of cloud computing In the Dell point of view, the cloud represents both the natural evolution of the data center and the future of IT service...
- Transform Your Data Center from Basic to Strategic by Increasing Operational Efficiency and Optimizing Intelligence Find out how data center and facilities management are able to use DCIM solutions and a pioneering "zone" approach to bridge the information...
- Cloud storage is strategically inevitable Economic pressures continue to drive much of the IT agenda while, at the same time, executives are demanding that IT incorporate new and...
- Zoning in on Energy and Physical Infrastructure Management In this Webcast you will learn how to develop and execute a strategy to optimize the energy efficiency of your data center.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All IT Leadership White Papers | Webcasts
Computerworld has launched its annual search for outstanding IT leaders who align technology with business goals. Nominate a top IT executive for the 2015 Premier 100 IT Leaders awards now through July 18.