SAP unveils HANA-powered cloud development platform
One component, NetWeaver Cloud, is now generally available
IDG News Service - SAP laid out broad details of a new cloud-based application development platform powered by the HANA in-memory database during the Tech Ed conference in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
One component of the strategy, NetWeaver Cloud, is generally available now, SAP said. The Java-based service provides tools for developing extensions to existing applications or entirely new ones.
Unlimited-use developer licenses for NetWeaver Cloud are available now at no charge.
NetWeaver Cloud provides native integration to SAP and other on-premises applications, identity management and single sign-on for access across cloud and on-premises applications, according to SAP.
SAP also announced the availability of HANA on Amazon Web Services, albeit with some limitations.
Other aspects of SAP's HANA Cloud strategy include a database service layer powered by HANA.
Overall, SAP is looking to compete with the likes of Salesforce.com's Force.com and Heroku platforms, hoping to keep SAP customers interested in cloud-based development within its technological family.
The overarching foundation for SAP's cloud efforts is HANA, executive board member and technology chief Vishal Sikka said in a session with press and analysts. " We believe the future is a RAM-optimized cloud," he said. "Every successful technology ever seeks to connect us in real time."
Over time, customers will be able to run SAP's HANA cloud stack inside their own data centers as a private cloud, Sikka said in an interview.
During a keynote earlier Tuesday, Sikka also sought to highlight HANA's momentum in the marketplace since its general-availability launch last year.
Some 100 startups are now involved in a HANA-related development program, and there are 603 HANA customers, Sikka said. Some 18 of those customers are members of SAP's "10,000 club," he added. "It is where the customer achieves a performance improvement ... by a factor of 10,000."
In addition, Sikka responded to recent criticisms of HANA by Oracle CEO Larry Ellison, who characterized the platform as lacking in scalability, among other things. SAP is hoping to displace Oracle databases with HANA over time, as well as compete with Oracle's Exadata database machines.
SAP is now beginning work with Intel on a 10-petabyte HANA farm, and recently performed a benchmark on 1.2 trillion records' worth of retail data with a 1-petabyte HANA system, Sikka said.
Simple queries on the data set, such as a monthly report, take less than a second, and more complex queries only take a few seconds, according to Sikka.
Customers will soon be able to buy HANA machines from potentially many more companies as well, due to a new open certification program for HANA that SAP also announced Tuesday. "Anybody who builds hardware can start to build hardware for HANA," Sikka said.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts