Wix.com launches apps market
Developers can sell apps built with the company's drag-and-drop Web design platform geared to small businesses
Infoworld - HTML5 Web publishing platform Wix.com will launch an app market Tuesday for selling of third-party applications built with the company's automated Web development technology. Called Wix App Market, the platform also enables customers to integrate applications from the market with their own websites.
An SDK will be offered that enables developers to build and offer Web applications to the Wix.com user base. The company claims to have 25 million users, who come to Wix.com to build websites for business usage and other purposes.
[ Facebook's recent switch to Objective-C and away from HTML5 for its iOS application raised questions about the strength of HTML5. Subscribe to InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter to stay on top of what is happening in the software development realm. ]
The app market will launch with applications for such things as photo feeds, blogging, music playlists, an online community, and e-mail marketing. Most applications in the market will be subscription-based, with a revenue split of 70 percent for the developer and 30 percent for Wix.com.
Wix features a drag-and-drop Web design platform geared to small businesses, in which non-technical people can assemble websites by using prepared templates. The company looks to make it easy to build websites. "When you build a website, it's still fairly intimidating to most people," said Eric Mason, Wix director of communications.
Sites built with Wix can run on desktop computers or mobile devices. Anyone who can navigate a Word document or PowerPoint presentation can build a website on Wix, Mason said.
Underlying Wix are HTML5 technologies including an HTML5 editor; Wix.com previously catered to Adobe Flash but in March began emphasizing HTML5 instead. A Flash editor still is available, however.
This article, "Wix.com launches apps market," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- 10 Steps to Application and Network Performance Nirvana 10 simple steps that network operations teams can take to ensure that applications and underlying infrastructure can both be tuned for maximum performance.
- Application Performance Management for Dummies Application performance management helps deliver the application performance users and the business demand. Effectively monitoring and troubleshooting application performance issues requires a comprehensive...
- IDC Report: Optimize IT and Business Gains This IDC Whitepaper outlines how CIOs can understand what the "total cost of data" is across their entire organization and how Delphix can...
- On-Demand Webinar: Transform Your Datacenter with Cisco ACI and Citrix NetScaler Learn how Citrix NetScaler -- the leader in public clouds, integrates with Cisco ACI to enable the enterprise network transition to a new...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All App Development White Papers | Webcasts