AT&T to sell LG Optimus G Nov. 2 for $200
Sprint mum on price, sales date of its version of the smartphone
Computerworld - AT&T's version of the quad-core LG Optimus G will go on sale Nov. 2 for $199.99 with a two-year contract. Pre-orders will start Tuesday, AT&T announced in a blog post.
The $200 price puts the Optimus G at the same pricing as many phones on the market offering slower processors or with only a 3G wireless connection. AT&T will offer the device on its faster LTE network, which is expanding to 100 cities by the end of 2012.
Sprint is also offering the Optimus G for its LTE network, but with a 13-megapixel rear camera, up from AT&T's version with an 8-megapixel camera. Sprint also didn't announce a price or shipping date. Both versions come with a 4.7-in. display at 1280 x 768 pixels. Both versions also ship with the Android 4.0 mobile operating system. There was no word on whether the phone would be on the upgrade path to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
For comparison, the most popular Android phone is the Samsung Galaxy S III which also sells for $199.99 with a two-year plan on AT&T. It also has LTE, an 8-megapixel rear camera and Android 4.0 with a 4.8-in. display. But it comes with a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, not a quad-core.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts