AT&T to sell LG Optimus G Nov. 2 for $200
Sprint mum on price, sales date of its version of the smartphone
Computerworld - AT&T's version of the quad-core LG Optimus G will go on sale Nov. 2 for $199.99 with a two-year contract. Pre-orders will start Tuesday, AT&T announced in a blog post.
The $200 price puts the Optimus G at the same pricing as many phones on the market offering slower processors or with only a 3G wireless connection. AT&T will offer the device on its faster LTE network, which is expanding to 100 cities by the end of 2012.
Sprint is also offering the Optimus G for its LTE network, but with a 13-megapixel rear camera, up from AT&T's version with an 8-megapixel camera. Sprint also didn't announce a price or shipping date. Both versions come with a 4.7-in. display at 1280 x 768 pixels. Both versions also ship with the Android 4.0 mobile operating system. There was no word on whether the phone would be on the upgrade path to Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean).
For comparison, the most popular Android phone is the Samsung Galaxy S III which also sells for $199.99 with a two-year plan on AT&T. It also has LTE, an 8-megapixel rear camera and Android 4.0 with a 4.8-in. display. But it comes with a 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, not a quad-core.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Smartphones in Computerworld's Smartphones Topic Center.
- Tips for Driving User Adoption in New Technology Deployment Read this checklist on tips for driving user adoption to see where you stand.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Software Asset Management: Ensuring Today's Assets Today's trends like BYOD and SaaS are new and exciting in terms of how they will help make our jobs more productive but...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Smartphones White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!