Report: Softbank deal to buy 70% stake in Sprint to be announced Monday
The deal has been approved by boards of both companies, CNBC is reporting
IDG News Service - Softbank will acquire a 70% stake in Sprint Nextel, with the boards of both companies agreeing to the deal, which will be announced Monday, according to CNBC.
Japan's third-largest wireless carrier will pay $20 billion for the majority stake in Sprint, which is the third-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., the business news site reported Sunday, citing sources "close to the situation." Softbank will pay $5.25 per share and the deal will not need a shareholder vote, the report said.
Sprint will in turn use the $3 billion in proceeds it gets from the deal with Softbank to buy partner company Clearwire, although that announcement will not come Monday, CNBC said.
Japan's main daily business newspaper Nikkei first reported last Thursday that Softbank and Sprint were in talks about an acquisition deal. Softbank at the time declined to comment on what it termed "speculation," but Sprint later that day in the U.S. confirmed that the companies were negotiating a deal that could potentially lead to Softbank making a "substantial" investment in Sprint.
A day later, the newspaper reported that Softbank is also considering making a competitive bid for MetroPCS, which is in final negotiations to merge with Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile USA.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts