Report: Softbank deal to buy 70% stake in Sprint to be announced Monday
The deal has been approved by boards of both companies, CNBC is reporting
IDG News Service - Softbank will acquire a 70% stake in Sprint Nextel, with the boards of both companies agreeing to the deal, which will be announced Monday, according to CNBC.
Japan's third-largest wireless carrier will pay $20 billion for the majority stake in Sprint, which is the third-largest wireless carrier in the U.S., the business news site reported Sunday, citing sources "close to the situation." Softbank will pay $5.25 per share and the deal will not need a shareholder vote, the report said.
Sprint will in turn use the $3 billion in proceeds it gets from the deal with Softbank to buy partner company Clearwire, although that announcement will not come Monday, CNBC said.
Japan's main daily business newspaper Nikkei first reported last Thursday that Softbank and Sprint were in talks about an acquisition deal. Softbank at the time declined to comment on what it termed "speculation," but Sprint later that day in the U.S. confirmed that the companies were negotiating a deal that could potentially lead to Softbank making a "substantial" investment in Sprint.
A day later, the newspaper reported that Softbank is also considering making a competitive bid for MetroPCS, which is in final negotiations to merge with Deutsche Telekom's T-Mobile USA.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!