Asus' dual-screen Taichi tablet-laptop hybrid on sale for $1299
Asus' Taichi 21 has two screens on its display panel, with one dedicated to tablet use
IDG News Service - Asustek's innovative laptop-tablet hybrid called Taichi is now on sale in the U.S. starting at $1,299.
At first glance, the Taichi looks like a standard ultrabook with an 11.6-inch touch screen when in laptop mode. However, closing the laptop activates another 11.6-inch touchscreen on the back of the panel, turning the hybrid device into a tablet.
"You've seen notebooks and tablets. But you've never seen anything like the Asus Taichi 21," Asus said on its website. The Taichi will ship with Windows 8, and the screens can display images at a 1920 by 1080-pixel resolution.
The hybrid Taichi attracted a lot of attention at the Computex trade show in June. Asus at the time said it would also ship a 13.3-inch version of Taichi.
But the Taichi's two-screen frame comes at a hefty price. The Taichi 21 DH51, with an Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB solid-state drive storage costs $1,299 on Amazon.com, B&H, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The models will ship after Oct. 26, according to the retail websites. The hybrid models will offer up to five hours of battery on a 6-cell battery. Also included in Taichi are 4GB of memory, Intel integrated graphics, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The laptops have a micro-HDMI port and two USB 3.0 ports. The Taichi weighs about 1.27 kilograms and also has a 5-megapixel webcam.
Also going on sale is Asus' VivoBook X202, which has an 11.6-inch screen and can be ordered for $599 on Amazon.com. The Windows 8 ultrabook has a Core i3 processor, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive. The ultrabook weighs 1.3 kilograms and offers five hours of run time on one charge of a 2-cell battery. The display can show images at a maximum resolution of 1366-by-768 pixels.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- What Datapipe customers need to know about the new PCI DSS 3.0 compliance standard This handy quick reference outlines what PCI DSS 3.0 is, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the new...
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts