Asus' dual-screen Taichi tablet-laptop hybrid on sale for $1299
Asus' Taichi 21 has two screens on its display panel, with one dedicated to tablet use
IDG News Service - Asustek's innovative laptop-tablet hybrid called Taichi is now on sale in the U.S. starting at $1,299.
At first glance, the Taichi looks like a standard ultrabook with an 11.6-inch touch screen when in laptop mode. However, closing the laptop activates another 11.6-inch touchscreen on the back of the panel, turning the hybrid device into a tablet.
"You've seen notebooks and tablets. But you've never seen anything like the Asus Taichi 21," Asus said on its website. The Taichi will ship with Windows 8, and the screens can display images at a 1920 by 1080-pixel resolution.
The hybrid Taichi attracted a lot of attention at the Computex trade show in June. Asus at the time said it would also ship a 13.3-inch version of Taichi.
But the Taichi's two-screen frame comes at a hefty price. The Taichi 21 DH51, with an Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB solid-state drive storage costs $1,299 on Amazon.com, B&H, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The models will ship after Oct. 26, according to the retail websites. The hybrid models will offer up to five hours of battery on a 6-cell battery. Also included in Taichi are 4GB of memory, Intel integrated graphics, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The laptops have a micro-HDMI port and two USB 3.0 ports. The Taichi weighs about 1.27 kilograms and also has a 5-megapixel webcam.
Also going on sale is Asus' VivoBook X202, which has an 11.6-inch screen and can be ordered for $599 on Amazon.com. The Windows 8 ultrabook has a Core i3 processor, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive. The ultrabook weighs 1.3 kilograms and offers five hours of run time on one charge of a 2-cell battery. The display can show images at a maximum resolution of 1366-by-768 pixels.
- Datacenter eGuide Read on to learn what technologies are essential for high-performing data centers today, and to get a glimpse of what the data center...
- EndPoint Interactive eGuide In this eGuide, Network World, Computerworld, and CIO examine two endpoint trends - BYOD and collaboration - and offer tips and advice on...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- It's not too late...Get Your Mobile Questions Answered Live! How can IT provide seamless and secure mobile communications and collaboration for all? Join this live Webcast as IDG asks an expert panel...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success! All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!