Asus' dual-screen Taichi tablet-laptop hybrid on sale for $1299
Asus' Taichi 21 has two screens on its display panel, with one dedicated to tablet use
IDG News Service - Asustek's innovative laptop-tablet hybrid called Taichi is now on sale in the U.S. starting at $1,299.
At first glance, the Taichi looks like a standard ultrabook with an 11.6-inch touch screen when in laptop mode. However, closing the laptop activates another 11.6-inch touchscreen on the back of the panel, turning the hybrid device into a tablet.
"You've seen notebooks and tablets. But you've never seen anything like the Asus Taichi 21," Asus said on its website. The Taichi will ship with Windows 8, and the screens can display images at a 1920 by 1080-pixel resolution.
The hybrid Taichi attracted a lot of attention at the Computex trade show in June. Asus at the time said it would also ship a 13.3-inch version of Taichi.
But the Taichi's two-screen frame comes at a hefty price. The Taichi 21 DH51, with an Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB solid-state drive storage costs $1,299 on Amazon.com, B&H, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The models will ship after Oct. 26, according to the retail websites. The hybrid models will offer up to five hours of battery on a 6-cell battery. Also included in Taichi are 4GB of memory, Intel integrated graphics, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The laptops have a micro-HDMI port and two USB 3.0 ports. The Taichi weighs about 1.27 kilograms and also has a 5-megapixel webcam.
Also going on sale is Asus' VivoBook X202, which has an 11.6-inch screen and can be ordered for $599 on Amazon.com. The Windows 8 ultrabook has a Core i3 processor, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive. The ultrabook weighs 1.3 kilograms and offers five hours of run time on one charge of a 2-cell battery. The display can show images at a maximum resolution of 1366-by-768 pixels.
- SANS: Next-Generation Datacenters = Next-Generation Security This whitepaper takes a look at some new technology that may allow security teams to implement more flexible and capable protection models in...
- SANS: Protecting Virtual Endpoints with McAfee Server Security Suite Essentials SANS review of McAfees Server Security Suite Essentials that address some of the emerging challenges of securing virtual platforms and cloud environments.
- Safeguarding the Next-Generation Data Center Use of virtual and cloud servers has exploded. Unfortunately, security often lags behind. McAfee recommends looking at innovative solutions in order to erect...
- Aberdeen: Securing the Evolving Datacenter This report highlights ways security technologies and services are evolving to provide the visibility and control needed to deploy workloads flexibly in the...
- Is SQL Server AlwaysOn really as powerful? Tips and Tricks from the field With the introduction of AlwaysOn, Windows Clustering Services is now more critical than ever.
- What Does it Take to Deliver a Superior Customer Experience? The Two Top-Rated Online Retailers, B&H Photo and Crutchfield Electronics, Share Their Secrets Discuss practical CX tools and service methods such as contact center agents and the use of realtime speech analytics to help contact center... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts