Asus' dual-screen Taichi tablet-laptop hybrid on sale for $1299
Asus' Taichi 21 has two screens on its display panel, with one dedicated to tablet use
IDG News Service - Asustek's innovative laptop-tablet hybrid called Taichi is now on sale in the U.S. starting at $1,299.
At first glance, the Taichi looks like a standard ultrabook with an 11.6-inch touch screen when in laptop mode. However, closing the laptop activates another 11.6-inch touchscreen on the back of the panel, turning the hybrid device into a tablet.
"You've seen notebooks and tablets. But you've never seen anything like the Asus Taichi 21," Asus said on its website. The Taichi will ship with Windows 8, and the screens can display images at a 1920 by 1080-pixel resolution.
The hybrid Taichi attracted a lot of attention at the Computex trade show in June. Asus at the time said it would also ship a 13.3-inch version of Taichi.
But the Taichi's two-screen frame comes at a hefty price. The Taichi 21 DH51, with an Intel Core i5 processor and 128GB solid-state drive storage costs $1,299 on Amazon.com, B&H, Newegg and TigerDirect.
The models will ship after Oct. 26, according to the retail websites. The hybrid models will offer up to five hours of battery on a 6-cell battery. Also included in Taichi are 4GB of memory, Intel integrated graphics, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The laptops have a micro-HDMI port and two USB 3.0 ports. The Taichi weighs about 1.27 kilograms and also has a 5-megapixel webcam.
Also going on sale is Asus' VivoBook X202, which has an 11.6-inch screen and can be ordered for $599 on Amazon.com. The Windows 8 ultrabook has a Core i3 processor, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive. The ultrabook weighs 1.3 kilograms and offers five hours of run time on one charge of a 2-cell battery. The display can show images at a maximum resolution of 1366-by-768 pixels.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- How WAN Optimization Helps Enterprises Reduce Costs If you wanted to break down innovation into a tidy equation, it might go something like this: Technology + Connectivity = Productivity. Productivity...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users? All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!