Amazon Web Services upgrades cloud-based Linux implementation
The company has added Apache 2.4 with PHP 5.4 and a new version of the Linux kernel
IDG News Service - The latest version of Amazon Web Services' Linux AMI is now available, and includes the R language as well as new versions of Apache and PHP.
The Linux AMI (Amazon Machine Image) is a supported Linux image offered by Amazon for use on its Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). It is designed to be used with online package repositories hosted in each region.
AWS Linux AMI version 2012.09 is based on version 3.2.30 of the Linux kernel. A new addition is version 2.15 of the R language, a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics that users have been asking for, according to Amazon.
The AMI also supports multiple versions of both Apache and PHP, which are engineered to work together in specific combinations. Apache 2.2 in conjunction with PHP 5.3 is the default, but users can also choose to run Apache 2.4 with PHP 5.4.
Version 2.4 of Apache was released earlier this year and was the first major update of the software since 2005. Apache 2.4 offers improved performance, and works better in high traffic environments.
There are also now multiple versions of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) and OpenJDK to choose between in the AMI.
Additional network interfaces attached while the instance is running are now configured automatically.
The AMI is available for all AWS users, and an on-demand instance costs between US$0.020 and $3.10 per hour.
There is also a free tier for new customers that allows them to use Linux in Amazon's cloud for up to a year without getting a bill.
Users of the previous 2012.03, 2011.09, and 2011.02 versions can upgrade using the yum updater and package installer.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts