Amazon Web Services upgrades cloud-based Linux implementation
The company has added Apache 2.4 with PHP 5.4 and a new version of the Linux kernel
IDG News Service - The latest version of Amazon Web Services' Linux AMI is now available, and includes the R language as well as new versions of Apache and PHP.
The Linux AMI (Amazon Machine Image) is a supported Linux image offered by Amazon for use on its Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2). It is designed to be used with online package repositories hosted in each region.
AWS Linux AMI version 2012.09 is based on version 3.2.30 of the Linux kernel. A new addition is version 2.15 of the R language, a language and environment for statistical computing and graphics that users have been asking for, according to Amazon.
The AMI also supports multiple versions of both Apache and PHP, which are engineered to work together in specific combinations. Apache 2.2 in conjunction with PHP 5.3 is the default, but users can also choose to run Apache 2.4 with PHP 5.4.
Version 2.4 of Apache was released earlier this year and was the first major update of the software since 2005. Apache 2.4 offers improved performance, and works better in high traffic environments.
There are also now multiple versions of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) and OpenJDK to choose between in the AMI.
Additional network interfaces attached while the instance is running are now configured automatically.
The AMI is available for all AWS users, and an on-demand instance costs between US$0.020 and $3.10 per hour.
There is also a free tier for new customers that allows them to use Linux in Amazon's cloud for up to a year without getting a bill.
Users of the previous 2012.03, 2011.09, and 2011.02 versions can upgrade using the yum updater and package installer.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cloud Computing eGuide In this eGuide, CIO, Computerworld, and InfoWorld offer advice, tips, news, and predictions regarding cloud implementations in the coming year and beyond. Read...
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- IDC: Eliminate Shortcomings in Your Cloud Architecture with Smarter Storage This white paper demonstrates how IBM Smarter Storage provides customers with an ideal, proven platform for cloud computing. IBM has a differentiated storage...
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources...
- Video surveillance for IT: maximum image quality, minimum bandwidth Join us on Thursday, May 8th at 1 p.m. EST when Willem Ryan, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Avigilon, will discuss how IT... All Cloud Computing White Papers | Webcasts