Google finalizes Web page speed module
The mod_pagespeed open source Apache module is now in use at more than 120,000 sites
Infoworld - After two years and 18 releases, Google this week took the beta label off mod_pagespeed, its Web page speed technology.
Mod_pagespeed is an open source Apache module in use at more than 120,000 sites, Joshua Marantz and Ilya Grigorik, of the Google PageSpeed Team, said in a blog post. "If your page is on the Web, speed matters. For developers and webmasters, making your page faster shouldn't be a hassle, which is why we introduced mod_pagespeed in 2010."
[ Google has been campaigning for a faster Web, even seeking an overhaul of the TCP protocol. | Subscribe to InfoWorld's Technology: Networking newsletter for more insights and news on networking. | Keep up with the latest developer news with InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter. ]
Google said users include hosting providers GoDaddy and DreamHost. "We're committed to working with the open-source community to continue evolving mod_pagespeed, including more, better and smarter optimizations and support for other Web servers," Marantz and Grigorik said.
Core filters are featured in mod_pagespeed to optimize content of a site without affecting look or behavior, Google said. More advanced filters also are provided that can be turned on by the site owner for higher performance improvements. Mod_pagespeed can be deployed and customized for individual websites.
This article, "Google finalizes Web page speed module," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Adobe Creative Cloud FAQ The following are answers to common questions about Adobe® Creative Cloud™ for teams membership, purchasing, security, and storage.
- What's coming to Adobe Creative Cloud Editing and video content creation workflows are about to get easier and more exciting, with major updates coming soon to Creative Cloud, bringing...
- What should I look for in a Next Generation Firewall? SANS Provides Guidance With so many vendors claiming to have a Next Generation Firewall (NGFW), it can be difficult to tell what makes each one different....
- Why Are Customers Really Deploying an NGFW? It seems every IT Security expert is talking about the NGFW, but what are people really doing? This webcast covers 5 real-world customer... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts