Google finalizes Web page speed module
The mod_pagespeed open source Apache module is now in use at more than 120,000 sites
Infoworld - After two years and 18 releases, Google this week took the beta label off mod_pagespeed, its Web page speed technology.
Mod_pagespeed is an open source Apache module in use at more than 120,000 sites, Joshua Marantz and Ilya Grigorik, of the Google PageSpeed Team, said in a blog post. "If your page is on the Web, speed matters. For developers and webmasters, making your page faster shouldn't be a hassle, which is why we introduced mod_pagespeed in 2010."
[ Google has been campaigning for a faster Web, even seeking an overhaul of the TCP protocol. | Subscribe to InfoWorld's Technology: Networking newsletter for more insights and news on networking. | Keep up with the latest developer news with InfoWorld's Developer World newsletter. ]
Google said users include hosting providers GoDaddy and DreamHost. "We're committed to working with the open-source community to continue evolving mod_pagespeed, including more, better and smarter optimizations and support for other Web servers," Marantz and Grigorik said.
Core filters are featured in mod_pagespeed to optimize content of a site without affecting look or behavior, Google said. More advanced filters also are provided that can be turned on by the site owner for higher performance improvements. Mod_pagespeed can be deployed and customized for individual websites.
This article, "Google finalizes Web page speed module," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter. For the latest developments in business technology news, follow InfoWorld.com on Twitter.
Read more about application development in InfoWorld's Application Development Channel.
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- Using Continuous Delivery to Improve Software Delivery Learn more about the challenges impacting organizations and how continuous delivery processes can be a key success factor in accelerating software delivery.
- Global Bank Improves Quality of Application Development Read how this financial institution centralized build assets, cut development time in half and added additional security controls.
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Cloud BI in Action: Recorded Webinar of Customer, Kony, Inc. See how Kony, Inc., a leading enterprise mobility company, is using TIBCO Jaspersoft for Amazon Web Services and Redshift to achieve embedded analytics...
- Cloud BI Overview: Jaspersoft for AWS Check out this overview of Jaspersoft for AWS, to easily and affordably build business intelligence solutions as well as embed visualizations and analytics... All App Development White Papers | Webcasts