New Microsoft Office hits 'RTM' milestone
The new Office is complete and will be generally available in the first quarter next year, Microsoft said
IDG News Service - The next version of Microsoft Office is complete and will start to reach enterprise customers next month, with general availability planned for early next year, Microsoft said Thursday.
The Office engineering team marked the "release to manufacturing" of the new Office on Thursday afternoon, Microsoft said in a blog post.
"This milestone means the coding and testing phase of the project is complete and we are now focused on releasing the new Office via multiple distribution channels to our consumer and business customers," Microsoft said.
It's a big update that includes a traditional desktop version, called Office 2013, and a cloud-based version called Office 365. It's also an important update that Microsoft hopes will help it stave off online rivals like Google Docs.
General availability is planned for the first quarter next year, which is when most consumers will be able to buy the new suite.
Businesses get earlier access under the following arrangements, Microsoft said:
-- Office 365 Enterprise customers will start to get new capabilities with the next service update, starting in November.
-- Volume licensing customers with Software Assurance will be able to download Office 2013 by mid-November, along with other Office products such as SharePoint 2013, Lync 2013 and Exchange 2013.
-- Developers and other IT professionals will be able to download Office 2013 through their TechNet or MSDN subscriptions by mid-November.
In addition, as Microsoft has said, people who buy tablets running Windows RT -- the version of Windows 8 for Arm-based processors -- will get some of the new Office applications included with those devices. They're due out later this month, along with Windows 8.
Microsoft said it will give more details about Office 2013, including presumably the pricing, later. The preview version is still available for testing at office.com/preview.
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- HTTP Status Code Cheat Sheet Look at the Graph, Find the Code and Boom - You're Solving Problems. Identifying and understanding common HTTP status codes can go a...
- Architects lead the next generation of data-driven applications Read this whitepaper to find out how application architects can quickly and confidently deliver long-lasting applications that minimize cost, complexity, and risk while...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Desktop Apps White Papers | Webcasts