DoCoMo, MasterCard to let Japanese make NFC payments abroad
Allowing users to make NFC payments with their mobile phone abroad is a natural step for operators, according to an analyst
IDG News Service - Japanese mobile operator NTT DoCoMo's subscribers will be able to make mobile payments when travelling abroad next year, thanks to a collaboration with MasterCard.
Together the two companies will expand DoCoMo's iD mobile credit payment system to include MasterCard PayPass merchant locations, of which there were nearly 500,000 in 41 countries as of June.
"It is a natural evolution," said Lars Kurkinen, telecom analyst at Berg Insight.
All over the world operators, smartphone OS vendors, banks and card companies are jockeying for position in the NFC-based mobile payment space.
But hardly anyone is able to compete with the payment card companies when it comes to international payments, except perhaps PayPal, according to Kurkinen. Visa and MasterCard can be expected to sign similar deals with operators in other countries, but it will take some time, he said.
For the iD and PayPass integration to work, DoCoMo subscribers first need a phone compatible with versions of NFC used outside Japan, called Type A and Type B. The Sony Xperia AX-SO-01E and the Sharp Aquos Phone Zeta SH-02E, which were also announced on Thursday, fit that category.
Phones also have to be equipped with a new mini UIM card that will go on sale in February, and an iD application for PayPass, which will be ready in September next year.
In December, DoCoMo, KDDI and Softbank saidthey will work together in the newly formed "Japan Mobile NFC Consortium" to bring the country in line with standards used abroad, namely Type A and Type B.
They currently use FeliCa, which is developed by Sony, for mobile payments.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3G/4G Digital Signage Guide Today, the widespread availability of 3G and 4G cellular or wireless broadband networks enables digital signage to be deployed virtually anywhere.
- Enterprises in Motion: In-Vehicle Networks In a world where traditional tethers to the central office have all but vanished, enterprises that operate vehicle fleets require constant and dependable...
- Uninterrupted Internet: Maximizing Revenue and Minimizing Business Risk with 3G/4G Failover Whether your businesses are connected to the Internet via T1/T3, or Cable, incorporating a mobile broadband backup solution adds uptime whenever there is...
- Trends in Pop-up Retail: Innovative Merchandising Driven by Flexible, Dependable Mobile Connectivity This paper outlines the challenges and obstacles to successful implementation, and discusses existing, rapid-deployment solutions for connecting pop-up locations with mission-critical retail applications...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Mobile Payments White Papers | Webcasts