Firefox 16 removed from installer page after vulnerability found
Mozilla is working on a fix and plans to ship updates on Thursday.
IDG News Service - Mozilla has temporarily removed Firefox 16 from the current installer page after it found a security vulnerability in the new version of its browser, it said on Wednesday.
The vulnerability could allow a malicious site to potentially determine which websites users have visited and have access to the URL (uniform resource locator) or URL parameters, Michael Coates, director of security assurance at Mozilla said in a blog post.
Mozilla does not however have any information that the vulnerability is currently being "exploited in the wild," he added. It is working on a fix and plans to ship updates on Thursday.
Firefox 16 has been temporarily removed from the current installer page and users will automatically be upgraded to the new version as soon as it becomes available, Coates wrote.
Firefox version 15 is unaffected, and as a precaution users can downgrade to version 15.0.1. Or they can wait until Mozilla's patches are issued and automatically applied to address the vulnerability, Coates said.
The new version of the browser was released on Tuesday and addressed a number of security vulnerabilities, including some considered critical.
Firefox had a 20.08 percent share of desktop browsers in September, compared to 53.63 percent share for Internet Explorer and 18.86 percent for Chrome, according to Web measurement company Net Applications.
- Path Selection Infographic Path Selection Infographic
- Hyperconvergence Infographic A wide range of observers agree that data centers are now entering an era of "hyperconvergence" that will raise network traffic levels faster...
- Preparing Your Infrastructure for the Hyperconvergence Era From cloud computing and virtualization to mobility and unified communications, an array of innovative technologies is transforming today's data centers.
- Increase IT Performance from the Enterprise to the Cloud with WAN Optimization Massive consolidation and data mobility, enabled by virtualization, have radically altered how we build servers, design applications, and deploy storage for the emerging...
- Live Webcast
Transforming Finance, Procurement and Supply Chain Effectiveness with Cross-Functional Analytics
Date: May 6th, 2014
Time: 1 PM EDT
Attend this Webcast to find out how Oracle's packaged analytic applications enable line-of-business managers to examine all...
- Video Stream Quality Impacts Viewer Behavior This scientific white paper, using statistical data from Amakai's streaming network, analyzes how changes in video quality cause changes in viewer behavior.
- Service-Enabling CICS Applications: Best Practices This informative webcast provides an informed, thorough look into CICS service-enablement options and how they can affect your environment. You'll learn how to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts