Missing Pirate Bay founders tracked down
Illness and legal advice derailed a talk by Peter Sunde and Fredrik Neij on Wednesday at Hack in the Box
IDG News Service - Illness and legal advice stopped two founders of The Pirate Bay from speaking at the Hack in the Box security conference on Wednesday.
Neither Peter "brokep" Sunde nor Fredrik "tiamo" Neij made the trip to Kuala Lumpur for the event. Sunde was ill with a stomach bug and Neij was advised by his lawyer not to make the trip, according to Hack in the Box founder Dhillon Andrew Kannabhiran.
"We did manage to reach Tiamo, who told us that due to his recent passport situation, his lawyer advised that perhaps it might not be the best idea to head over to a high-profile congregation of the world's hackers so soon after," Kannabhiran said.
It's the 10th year that Hack in the Box has been held and more than 1,000 people are attending this week. Two days of technical sessions are followed by some of the world's top security gurus speaking on Wednesday and Thursday.
Sunde told the file-sharing blog TorrentFreak he had been ill since a recent trip to Lebanon. Neij only recovered his Swedish passport last week after the country's embassy in Bangkok revoked it. TorrentFreak said he was reluctant to travel just yet.
"While we're of course disappointed not to have two more friends join us, we're thankful that their non-appearance is not due to more dire reasons and we'll party with them on our 15th anniversary instead," Kannabhiran said.
Sunde and Neij were both key figures in The Pirate Bay, a website that indexes "torrents," or small information files that allow users to download content circulating on the BitTorrent peer-to-peer file-sharing system. They both received jail time in Sweden for copyright-related violations.
Despite legal efforts by the entertainment industry in a number of countries to shut the site down, The Pirate Bay is still alive and well.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2013 Cyber Risk Report The "Cyber risk report 2013 Executive summary" presents the major findings of HP Security Research's comprehensive dive into today's cyber vulnerability and threat...
- Platfora Big Data Analytics for Network Security Platfora amplifies the effectiveness of network security analysis, providing Big Data Analytics capability to augment existing security infrastructure for known threats, and advanced...
- The Business Value of Continuous Delivery Download this whitepaper to learn more about the business value of Continuous Delivery and see why it could be a game changer for...
- Ten Factors Shaping the Future of Application Delivery Download this research report conducted by Enterprise Management Associates (EMA) to learn how those that are seeking to accelerate application delivery are leveraging...
- On-demand webinar - 7 Keys to Service Catalog Implementation Success Watch this webinar to learn 7 crucial keys to make your service catalog a success!
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt. All Cyberwarfare White Papers | Webcasts