HP, Lenovo battle for top spot in PC market
IDC has Gartner holding onto its top position, but Gartner calls the win for Lenovo
Computerworld - After years as the top PC maker in the world, Hewlett-Packard may be pushed aside by a quick-moving Lenovo.
It's no longer clear which company sits at the top of the rankings for the PC industry.
China-based Lenovo edged out HP with 15.7% of the global PC market compared to 15.5%, said a report from industry analyst firm Gartner. That's a big advance for Lenovo, which held 13.1% of the market a year ago, while HP was holding at a lofty 17%.
However, IDC reported that HP retained its long-held leadership position with 15.9% of the global PC market, compared to Lenovo's 15.7% for the third quarter.
Both reports have Dell in third place, with Gartner reporting that the company has 10.5% of the market and IDC reporting that it has 10.8%. And both analyst firms have Acer Group in fourth place and ASUS in the fifth spot.
Regardless of whether HP or Lenovo is in the top spot, it's a tough race and one that HP is struggling with.
"On Lenovo's side, things must be pretty sweet," said Charles King, an analyst with Pund-IT. "It wasn't that long ago that people were dismissing the company as a lightweight wannabe." King adds: "Proving detractors wrong is satisfying but to maintain its new leadership position the company will have to keep on with what it has been doing -- blending solid value with innovative new design points."
Gartner noted that Lenovo was smart to take an aggressive position on pricing, especially in the professional market. That helped the company achieve big market share gains over the last two years, exceeding regional average growth rates across all regions.
As for HP, slipping out of the top spot may sting but it's not devastating, King said.
"It's a bigger deal symbolically than in any business sense," he said. "HP has been on top for so long that some will consider this a major disaster. But let's face it, PCs are HP's lowest margin business so while any reduction of share is somewhat painful, it isn't the end of the world."
Rob Enderle, an analyst with the Enderle Group, said some of HP's problems may stem from its lack of business focus. "Focused companies seem to be doing much better of late than those that are very diverse," he said. "HP's massive breadth makes it very hard to focus."
So, can HP reinvigorate its PC division and get back into a dominant position in the market?
Patrick Moorhead, an analyst with Moor Insights & Strategy, said the company can do it but the real question is if they want to put the effort into doing it.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Laptops White Papers | Webcasts