Firefox 16 patches 24 vulnerabilities
Eleven of the 14 security advisories accompanying Firefox 16 were rated as critical
IDG News Service - Mozilla Firefox 16 was released on Tuesday and addresses numerous security vulnerabilities, many of which are rated as critical.
The new version of Firefox was accompanied by 14 security advisories, 11 rated as critical, that patched a total of 24 vulnerabilities.
Many of the critical security holes that were addressed in Firefox 16 could have allowed attackers to execute arbitrary code on the system, bypass security checks that prevent Web pages from interacting with the browser in unauthorized ways, perform spoofing or clickjacking attacks, and, in the case of the Android version of Firefox, allow a malicious Web page opened in reader mode to gain the browser's permissions on the OS.
The other three security advisories were rated as medium severity and covered vulnerabilities that could have allowed attackers to execute cross-site scripting (XSS) or script injection attacks.
Most of the vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox 16, were also addressed in Mozilla Thunderbird 16 and Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.13 which were also released on Tuesday. Some of the fixes have also been backported to the Firefox and Thunderbird ESR (Extended Support Release) versions that are used in enterprise environments.
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!