Firefox 16 patches 24 vulnerabilities
Eleven of the 14 security advisories accompanying Firefox 16 were rated as critical
IDG News Service - Mozilla Firefox 16 was released on Tuesday and addresses numerous security vulnerabilities, many of which are rated as critical.
The new version of Firefox was accompanied by 14 security advisories, 11 rated as critical, that patched a total of 24 vulnerabilities.
Many of the critical security holes that were addressed in Firefox 16 could have allowed attackers to execute arbitrary code on the system, bypass security checks that prevent Web pages from interacting with the browser in unauthorized ways, perform spoofing or clickjacking attacks, and, in the case of the Android version of Firefox, allow a malicious Web page opened in reader mode to gain the browser's permissions on the OS.
The other three security advisories were rated as medium severity and covered vulnerabilities that could have allowed attackers to execute cross-site scripting (XSS) or script injection attacks.
Most of the vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox 16, were also addressed in Mozilla Thunderbird 16 and Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.13 which were also released on Tuesday. Some of the fixes have also been backported to the Firefox and Thunderbird ESR (Extended Support Release) versions that are used in enterprise environments.
- Best iPhone, iPad Business Apps for 2014
- 14 Tech Conventions You Should Attend in 2014
- 10 Desktop Apps to Power Your Windows PC
- How to Add New Job Skills Without Going Back to School
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Alert Logic for PCI DSS Compliance To achieve PCI DSS compliance, you must identify and remediate all critical vulnerabilities detected during PCI scans. Threat Manager streamlines this process by...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives Reinvent Your Network Security With Palo Alto Networks The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts