Firefox 16 patches 24 vulnerabilities
Eleven of the 14 security advisories accompanying Firefox 16 were rated as critical
IDG News Service - Mozilla Firefox 16 was released on Tuesday and addresses numerous security vulnerabilities, many of which are rated as critical.
The new version of Firefox was accompanied by 14 security advisories, 11 rated as critical, that patched a total of 24 vulnerabilities.
Many of the critical security holes that were addressed in Firefox 16 could have allowed attackers to execute arbitrary code on the system, bypass security checks that prevent Web pages from interacting with the browser in unauthorized ways, perform spoofing or clickjacking attacks, and, in the case of the Android version of Firefox, allow a malicious Web page opened in reader mode to gain the browser's permissions on the OS.
The other three security advisories were rated as medium severity and covered vulnerabilities that could have allowed attackers to execute cross-site scripting (XSS) or script injection attacks.
Most of the vulnerabilities fixed in Firefox 16, were also addressed in Mozilla Thunderbird 16 and Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.13 which were also released on Tuesday. Some of the fixes have also been backported to the Firefox and Thunderbird ESR (Extended Support Release) versions that are used in enterprise environments.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!