Pirate Bay founders, due to speak, go missing in action
Peter Sunde and Fredrik Neij were due to speak at Hack in the Box but never arrived
IDG News Service - Get your conspiracy theories ready: Two founders of The Pirate Bay were due to speak at the Hack in the Box security conference in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, but didn't show up.
The 3 p.m. speaking slot for Peter "brokep" Sunde and Fredrik "tiamo" Neij was cancelled. Their talk was titled "Data is Political."
A popular tweet by F-Secure's Mikko Hypponen written around the time their talk was to commence read: "The Pirate Bay founders Peter 'brokep' Sunde and Fredrik 'tiamo' Neij were stopped in Bangkok on their way to #HITB2012KUL. Talk cancelled."
"All we know is they didn't show up," said Mei Ling Foo, a Hack in the Box coordinator. Foo said she didn't have contact details for the two, joking they're both "invisible." She said she wasn't sure what city they were departing from.
The absence of the duo is perhaps not entirely surprising given their association with The Pirate Bay, the popular search engine used to find torrents, or small information files that allow the downloading of content from the BitTorrent peer-to-peer system.
In February, the Swedish Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal from The Pirate Bay founders, who were found guilty of violating copyright. On appeal, Neij was sentenced to 10 months in prison and Sunde to eight months. Also sentenced were Carl LundstrAPm and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg.
Warg, who was sentenced to one year, was arrested in Cambodia on Aug. 30. He was deported from Cambodia and returned to Sweden. He is being held without charge there while prosecutors investigate his alleged involvement in the hacking of the IT company Logica.
Hack in the Box conference goers can still get a piece of The Pirate Bay, however: One of a few dozen items up for sale in a charity auction is a t-shirt that was owned by Neij with the website's ship-at-sail logo. It is signed by him as well and was previously auctioned at Hack in the Box in 2008.
Send news tips and comments to email@example.com
- Troubleshooting Common Issues in VoIP Learn more about Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), including common VoIP metrics used, best practices in VoIP management and tips and tricks for...
- 2013 Network Management Software (NMS) Buyers Guide This white paper contains an independent comparison study of six different network management solutions and provides guidance on how you can choose the...
- Rightsizing Your Network Performance Management Solution: 4 Case Studies This white paper discusses challenges encountered as organizations search for the most cost-effective network performance management solution.
- Global Growing Pains: Tapping into B2B Integration Services to Overcome Global Expansion Challenges A recent survey by IDG Research explored both the challenges and pain points companies face when growing globally, as well as the capabilities...
- E-Signature RFP Checklist Webcast If your organization is looking to adopt e-signatures, you may be overwhelmed by the number of providers that offer seemingly similar solutions. How...
- Cloud and Collaboration: Driving Your Business Value Mission Critical Cloud from Peer 1 Hosting is enterprise-grade. All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!