Pirate Bay founders, due to speak, go missing in action
Peter Sunde and Fredrik Neij were due to speak at Hack in the Box but never arrived
IDG News Service - Get your conspiracy theories ready: Two founders of The Pirate Bay were due to speak at the Hack in the Box security conference in Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday, but didn't show up.
The 3 p.m. speaking slot for Peter "brokep" Sunde and Fredrik "tiamo" Neij was cancelled. Their talk was titled "Data is Political."
A popular tweet by F-Secure's Mikko Hypponen written around the time their talk was to commence read: "The Pirate Bay founders Peter 'brokep' Sunde and Fredrik 'tiamo' Neij were stopped in Bangkok on their way to #HITB2012KUL. Talk cancelled."
"All we know is they didn't show up," said Mei Ling Foo, a Hack in the Box coordinator. Foo said she didn't have contact details for the two, joking they're both "invisible." She said she wasn't sure what city they were departing from.
The absence of the duo is perhaps not entirely surprising given their association with The Pirate Bay, the popular search engine used to find torrents, or small information files that allow the downloading of content from the BitTorrent peer-to-peer system.
In February, the Swedish Supreme Court declined to hear an appeal from The Pirate Bay founders, who were found guilty of violating copyright. On appeal, Neij was sentenced to 10 months in prison and Sunde to eight months. Also sentenced were Carl LundstrAPm and Gottfrid Svartholm Warg.
Warg, who was sentenced to one year, was arrested in Cambodia on Aug. 30. He was deported from Cambodia and returned to Sweden. He is being held without charge there while prosecutors investigate his alleged involvement in the hacking of the IT company Logica.
Hack in the Box conference goers can still get a piece of The Pirate Bay, however: One of a few dozen items up for sale in a charity auction is a t-shirt that was owned by Neij with the website's ship-at-sail logo. It is signed by him as well and was previously auctioned at Hack in the Box in 2008.
Send news tips and comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Gartner Report: A Guide to Gartner's Enterprise Mobile Security Self-Assessment Gartner introduces a model and a Toolkit intended to help mobility and security IT leaders assess their enterprise mobility programs from a security...
- Gartner Report: Containing Mobile Security Risks With the 80/20 Rule IT planners can deliver better mobile protection with higher user satisfaction by segmenting users into risk groups before committing to specific management or...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts