6,500 workers at McGladrey get tablets
AT&T helped set up management and provisioning for accounting firm
Computerworld - SAN DIEGO -- Accounting firm McGladrey LLP rolled out 6,500 tablets recently to all of its workers using AT&T's mobility services expertise, AT&T announced Tuesday.
The entire rollout took less than two months, AT&T said in a statement. The brand of tablets and the maker of the Mobile Device Management (MDM) software that AT&T implemented for McGladrey weren't specified.
AT&T touted the rollout at MobileCon, a conference here sponsored by CTIA that is focused on enterprise professionals, many of them grappling with Bring-Your-Own-Device (BYOD) concerns. McGladrey wanted to offer employees tablets as a way to improve efficiency, but also to give them a "sense of empowerment," AT&T said.
AT&T was able to unwrap all the tablets, test them and load them with business apps in just 12 days. The MDM system that AT&T installed will help IT managers track the devices and allows them to remotely wipe information from any that are lost or stolen.
Also today, AT&T and IBM announced that they have agreed to deliver a network-enabled cloud service that runs over private networks, rather than over the public Internet. Private networks will keep the data more secure, the two companies said.
The service will be targeted at Fortune 1000 companies early next year. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Tablets in Computerworld's Tablets Topic Center.
- Enterprise Mobility Management Checklist Read this checklist for tips and considerations when creating your own Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) strategy.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Client Management: Simplifying Life for System Admins Watch this brief webinar to hear how implementing a client management strategy not only overcomes common Apple-ization challenges related to data protection &...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to... All Tablets White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!