Swedish websites down after Anonymous threats
Anonymous promised to attack some sites after police raid on a hosting service associated with The Pirate Bay
IDG News Service - A handful of Swedish websites remained down Friday evening there after hacking group Anonymous threatened earlier this week to attack the nation for a police raid on a hosting service that was once home to The Pirate Bay.
As of 6:45 p.m. Swedish time Friday, the website of the Swedish Security Service was down, as well as Sweden.se and Studyinsweden.se, with the latter two sites apparently down for most of the week because of distributed denial-of-service attacks.
Other Swedish sites affected during the week, including those of the Swedish Prosecutors' Office and the Swedish Armed Forces, were operating Friday evening.
"The raid on PRQ disabled many of our torrent sites," the video said. "We see this as a crime against freedom [of] information and therefore, we have disabled some of [the] Swedish government's or affiliate sites in protest against this raid."
The video listed 19 websites as targets, and five of those sites appeared to be down Friday evening. "Swedish Government: You know our capabilities and what we want," the video said. "The choice is yours."
Sweden.se on Friday had a message saying the site was down. One of the possible reasons, it said, was that the site "may be experiencing excessive load."
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Radicati: Cloud Business Email - Market Quadrant 2013 Google was named the top cloud business email provider in a recent report by research firm Radicati. Out of 14 key players, Google...
- Tablets in the Enterprise: A Checklist for Successful Deployment How can you enterprise manage and secure tablets in order to protect corporate data while providing access to the information and applications employees...
- Enterprise Mobility: A Checklist for Secure Containerization The advantages and disadvantages of the multiple approaches to containerization. Learn More>>
- Enterprise File Sync & Share Checklist File sync and share has changed the way people work and collaborate in today's tech-savvy world. Gone are the email roadblocks, clunky FTP...
- Live Webcast LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- LIVE EVENT: 5/7, The End of Data Protection As We Know It. Introducing a Next Generation Data Protection Architecture. Traditional backup is going away, but where does this leave end-users?
- On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy... All Security White Papers | Webcasts