Swedish websites down after Anonymous threats
Anonymous promised to attack some sites after police raid on a hosting service associated with The Pirate Bay
IDG News Service - A handful of Swedish websites remained down Friday evening there after hacking group Anonymous threatened earlier this week to attack the nation for a police raid on a hosting service that was once home to The Pirate Bay.
As of 6:45 p.m. Swedish time Friday, the website of the Swedish Security Service was down, as well as Sweden.se and Studyinsweden.se, with the latter two sites apparently down for most of the week because of distributed denial-of-service attacks.
Other Swedish sites affected during the week, including those of the Swedish Prosecutors' Office and the Swedish Armed Forces, were operating Friday evening.
"The raid on PRQ disabled many of our torrent sites," the video said. "We see this as a crime against freedom [of] information and therefore, we have disabled some of [the] Swedish government's or affiliate sites in protest against this raid."
The video listed 19 websites as targets, and five of those sites appeared to be down Friday evening. "Swedish Government: You know our capabilities and what we want," the video said. "The choice is yours."
Sweden.se on Friday had a message saying the site was down. One of the possible reasons, it said, was that the site "may be experiencing excessive load."
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Mobile First: Securing Information Sprawl Learn how the partnership between Box and MobileIron can help you execute a "mobile first" strategy that manages and secures both mobile apps...
- Cybersecurity Imperatives: Reinvent your Network Security The Rise of CyberSecurity
- Surescripts Case Study- Securing Keys and Certificates Surescripts implemented Venafi's Trust Protection Platform™ to secure digital keys and certificates, ensure the privacy and confidentiality of electronic clinical information for its...
- Ponemon 2014 SSH Security Vulnerability Report According to research by the Ponemon Institute, 3 out of 4 enterprises have no security controls in place for SSH which leaves organizations...
- Responding to New SSL Cybersecurity Threat The featured Gartner research examines current strategies to address new SSL cybersecurity threats and vulnerabilities.
- Deep Dive into Advanced Networking and Security with Hybrid Cloud Security and networking are among the top concerns when moving workloads to the cloud. VMware vCloud® Hybrid Service™ enables you to extend your... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!