Swedish websites down after Anonymous threats
Anonymous promised to attack some sites after police raid on a hosting service associated with The Pirate Bay
IDG News Service - A handful of Swedish websites remained down Friday evening there after hacking group Anonymous threatened earlier this week to attack the nation for a police raid on a hosting service that was once home to The Pirate Bay.
As of 6:45 p.m. Swedish time Friday, the website of the Swedish Security Service was down, as well as Sweden.se and Studyinsweden.se, with the latter two sites apparently down for most of the week because of distributed denial-of-service attacks.
Other Swedish sites affected during the week, including those of the Swedish Prosecutors' Office and the Swedish Armed Forces, were operating Friday evening.
"The raid on PRQ disabled many of our torrent sites," the video said. "We see this as a crime against freedom [of] information and therefore, we have disabled some of [the] Swedish government's or affiliate sites in protest against this raid."
The video listed 19 websites as targets, and five of those sites appeared to be down Friday evening. "Swedish Government: You know our capabilities and what we want," the video said. "The choice is yours."
Sweden.se on Friday had a message saying the site was down. One of the possible reasons, it said, was that the site "may be experiencing excessive load."
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements addressed by Peer 1 Hosting This handy quick reference outlines the 12 PCI DSS 3.0 requirements, who needs to be compliant and how Alert Logic solutions address the...
- Defense Throughout the Vulnerability Life Cycle This whitepaper provides insight into how to leverage threat and log management technologies to protect your IT assets throughout their vulnerability life cycle.
- Mobile Policy Checklist Here's what to consider when putting together a mobile policy designed to support a highly productive workforce.
- Securing BYOD Mobile computing is becoming so ubiquitous that people no longer bat an eye seeing someone working two devices simultaneously. Individuals and organizations are...
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Endpoint Backup & Restore: Protect Everyone, Everywhere Arek Sokol from the bleeding-edge IT team at Genentech/Roche explains how he leverages cross-platform enterprise endpoint backup in the public cloud as part...
- Streamline Software Asset Management, Compose a software Management Symphony Keeping track of your organization's software is easy with effective software management solutions from CDW. View the videos in our software solutions channel
- Druva inSync: Endpoint Data Protection & Governance CLICK HERE to watch this video about protecting corporate data on laptops and mobile devices, sponsored by Druva. All Security White Papers | Webcasts