Swedish websites down after Anonymous threats
Anonymous promised to attack some sites after police raid on a hosting service associated with The Pirate Bay
IDG News Service - A handful of Swedish websites remained down Friday evening there after hacking group Anonymous threatened earlier this week to attack the nation for a police raid on a hosting service that was once home to The Pirate Bay.
As of 6:45 p.m. Swedish time Friday, the website of the Swedish Security Service was down, as well as Sweden.se and Studyinsweden.se, with the latter two sites apparently down for most of the week because of distributed denial-of-service attacks.
Other Swedish sites affected during the week, including those of the Swedish Prosecutors' Office and the Swedish Armed Forces, were operating Friday evening.
"The raid on PRQ disabled many of our torrent sites," the video said. "We see this as a crime against freedom [of] information and therefore, we have disabled some of [the] Swedish government's or affiliate sites in protest against this raid."
The video listed 19 websites as targets, and five of those sites appeared to be down Friday evening. "Swedish Government: You know our capabilities and what we want," the video said. "The choice is yours."
Sweden.se on Friday had a message saying the site was down. One of the possible reasons, it said, was that the site "may be experiencing excessive load."
Grant Gross covers technology and telecom policy in the U.S. government for The IDG News Service. Follow Grant on Twitter at GrantGross. Grant's e-mail address is email@example.com.
- Securing Mobile App Data - Comparing Containers and App Wrappers Analysts agree that Mobile Device Management (MDM) is not enough when it comes to securing app data. Although it remains a critical component...
- PCI 3.0 Compliance In this white paper, learn how PCI-DSS 3.0 effects how you deploy and maintain PCI compliant networks using CradlePoint devices.
- Mitigating Security Risks at the Networks Edge This white paper provides strategies and best practices for distributed enterprises to protect their networks against vulnerabilities, threats, and malicious attacks.
- 5 Strategies for Modern Data Protection Read the five strategies for modern data protection that will not only help solve your current data management challenges but also ensure that...
- Business-driven data protection Setting up data protection infrastructures with your organizations' core mission or business in mind is key. In this webinar, the ARCserve team will...
- On-Demand Webinar: Mind the Gap! Watch the webinar featuring Bob Janssen, CTO and Co-Founder of RES Software, to start building a solid foundation for business and IT to... All Security White Papers | Webcasts
Our new bimonthly Internet of Things newsletter helps you keep pace with the rapidly evolving technologies, trends and developments related to the IoT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!