Sprint considering outbidding T-Mobile for MetroPCS, reports say
Sprint's board may reconsider whether to merge with MetroPCS, according to reports
IDG News Service - Board members at Sprint Nextel are expected to discuss whether to pursue a merger with rival mobile carrier MetroPCS during a meeting Friday, according to a news report.
Sprint, which considered a merger with MetroPCS earlier this year, may debate whether to outbid T-Mobile USA for the carrier, according to The Wall Street Journal. MetroPCS announced this week that T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom has made a merger offer.
Sprint's board rejected a merger with MetroPCS in February.
A Sprint spokesman declined to comment on news reports that Sprint was considering a bid for MetroPCS.
Sprint's board seems unwilling to enter into mergers, said Jeff Kagan, a telecom analyst. The board has rejected past overtures by T-Mobile, he said.
"Where is the loose screw at Sprint Nextel anyway?" he said in an email. "CEO Dan Hesse seems to want to do deals. However, the Sprint board of directors doesn't. This behavior is not helping Sprint."
Sprint has posted net losses in 19 straight financial quarters. The third largest mobile carrier in the U.S. is in the middle of an effort to save money by consolidating multiple network technologies into one network and to roll out LTE service.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- Pay-as-you-Grow Data Protection: IBM Tivoli's Full-featured Data Protection Suite for Small to Medium Businesses IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Suite for Unified Recovery gives small and medium businesses the opportunity to start out with only the individual solutions...
- Streamline Data Protection with IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Operations Center IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) has been an industry-standard data protection solution for two decades. But, where most competitors focus exclusively on Backup...
- Simplify and Consolidate Data Protection for Better Business Results Learn about IBM® Tivoli® Storage Manager Operations Center, which provides advanced visualization, built-in analytics and integrated workflow automation features that leapfrog traditional backup...
- HP HAVEn: See the big picture in Big Data HP HAVEn is the industry's first comprehensive, scalable, open, and secure platform for Big Data. Enterprises are drowning in a sea of data...
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well...
- The New Way to Work Knowledge Vault This Knowledge Vault focuses on how, in today's increasingly virtual world, it's more important than ever to engage deeply with employees, suppliers, partners,... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts