Sprint considering outbidding T-Mobile for MetroPCS, reports say
Sprint's board may reconsider whether to merge with MetroPCS, according to reports
IDG News Service - Board members at Sprint Nextel are expected to discuss whether to pursue a merger with rival mobile carrier MetroPCS during a meeting Friday, according to a news report.
Sprint, which considered a merger with MetroPCS earlier this year, may debate whether to outbid T-Mobile USA for the carrier, according to The Wall Street Journal. MetroPCS announced this week that T-Mobile parent company Deutsche Telekom has made a merger offer.
Sprint's board rejected a merger with MetroPCS in February.
A Sprint spokesman declined to comment on news reports that Sprint was considering a bid for MetroPCS.
Sprint's board seems unwilling to enter into mergers, said Jeff Kagan, a telecom analyst. The board has rejected past overtures by T-Mobile, he said.
"Where is the loose screw at Sprint Nextel anyway?" he said in an email. "CEO Dan Hesse seems to want to do deals. However, the Sprint board of directors doesn't. This behavior is not helping Sprint."
Sprint has posted net losses in 19 straight financial quarters. The third largest mobile carrier in the U.S. is in the middle of an effort to save money by consolidating multiple network technologies into one network and to roll out LTE service.
- Big Data, Big Mess: Sound Risk Intelligence Through Complete Context This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Using Cyber Insurance and Cybercrime Data to Limit Your Business Risk This paper examines the challenges of understanding cyber risks, the importance of having the right cyber risk intelligence, and how to use this...
- 5 Tips to Secure Small Business Backdoors in the Enterprise Supply Chain This paper examines the insecurity of the small businesses in the supply chain and offers tips to close those backdoors into the enterprise.
- Confront consumerization with convergence Virtualization expert Elias Khnaser spotlights the security, compliance, and governance issues that arise when enterprise users "consumerize" with shadow IT and public cloud...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Wireless Carriers White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!