CIO - Nathan Brown is one of a growing number of CIOs who are experienced in moving from one sector to another, including from commercial to government and from for-profit to nonprofit. He's currently in an IT leadership position at Care.com after recently leaving the role of senior director of IT for Year Up, an IT workforce development program for young urban adults, and he was previously CIO for Harvard Law School.
Regardless of the sector he's hiring for, Nathan has six rules he follows when building a new team. 1. Don't hire out of desperation. 2. Never ignore a red flag. 3. Personality fit matters. 4. Skill sets are sometimes less important. 5. Involve team leaders in the process. 6. Interview all potential internal hires before an offer is made, even if they won't report directly to you.
What have you learned about the hiring market while on the nonprofit side?
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
Changing the Way Government Works: Four Technology Trends that Drive Down Costs and Increase Productivity
This paper discusses four technology-based approaches to improving processes and increasing
productivity while driving down department and agency costs.
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- Webinar: Building a Big Data solution that's production-ready Big data solutions are no longer just a nice-to-have.
- Meg Whitman presents Unlocking IT with Big Data During this Web Event you will hear Meg Whitman, President and CEO, HP discuss HAVEn - the #1 Big Data platform, as well... All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts