CIO - Nathan Brown is one of a growing number of CIOs who are experienced in moving from one sector to another, including from commercial to government and from for-profit to nonprofit. He's currently in an IT leadership position at Care.com after recently leaving the role of senior director of IT for Year Up, an IT workforce development program for young urban adults, and he was previously CIO for Harvard Law School.
Regardless of the sector he's hiring for, Nathan has six rules he follows when building a new team. 1. Don't hire out of desperation. 2. Never ignore a red flag. 3. Personality fit matters. 4. Skill sets are sometimes less important. 5. Involve team leaders in the process. 6. Interview all potential internal hires before an offer is made, even if they won't report directly to you.
What have you learned about the hiring market while on the nonprofit side?
To continue reading, register here to become an Insider
It's FREE to join
- The Brave New World of Customer-Centric Manufacturing The Unique Opportunity for Manufacturers to Better Understand their Consumers
- See the Possibilities Utilizing Data Visualization Do you simply want to collect data, or do you want to derive business insights from it? What if you could quickly and...
- The Future of IT: A Customer First Approach Explore how customer-first policies can make use of social, mobile and cloud technologies to give workers the freedom and flexibility they desire to...
- Aberdeen Group: Marketing Analytics for Manufacturing: Forging Customer Insights There are no recalls for poor marketing. Manufacturers need to get their customer intelligence and messaging right the first time. Learn how.
- Bringing software licenses into compliance A hospital group received a software license audit, so they called in CDW to help define and manage their software licensing status.
- Software license renewal solutions that insure compliance A large design group with a software license renewal challenge employs a software asset management (SAM) tool from CDW to insure compliance. All IT Industry White Papers | Webcasts