American Airlines flight attendants to use Galaxy Note devices
Computerworld - American Airlines said it plans to purchase about 17,000 first-generation Samsung Galaxy Note devices for use by cabin crew members during flights.
Flight attendants will use the combination smartphone/tablet to record passengers' meal and beverage preferences, and to access information such as customer names, seat numbers and special assistance needs. The airline will begin deploying the devices later this year and expects to continue the rollout through mid-2013.
American decided to use Galaxy Notes after completing a pilot program in which 40 flight attendants tested several devices and gave feedback about their preferences.
According to the airline, the testers liked the Note's thin design, its security features and its HD display. They also liked the fact that they could hold the device in one hand and easily slip it into a pocket.
American Airlines CIO Maya Leibman said the Note rollout is part of a corporate program that includes pioneering new technologies "to build a new American and return to industry leadership."
As part of this initiative, the airline will also expand the use of tablets in the cockpit during all phases of flights; American is the first commercial airline to receive FAA approval to do that.
Eventually, American hopes that crew members will be able to use tablets to give passengers timely information about connecting gates, flight delays and weather issues.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Mobile/Wireless in Computerworld's Mobile/Wireless Topic Center.
- 15 Non-Certified IT Skills Growing in Demand
- How 19 Tech Titans Target Healthcare
- Twitter Suffering From Growing Pains (and Facebook Comparisons)
- Agile Comes to Data Integration
- Slideshow: 7 security mistakes people make with their mobile device
- iOS vs. Android: Which is more secure?
- 11 sure signs you've been hacked
- The Critical Role of Support in Your Enterprise Mobility Management Strategy Most business leaders underestimate the importance of tech support when they choose an EMM solution. Here's what to put on your checklist.
- Separating Work and Personal at the Platform Level: How BlackBerry Balance Works BlackBerry® Balance™ separates work from personal on the same mobile device, right at a platform level. Find out how it can work for...
- Protection for Every Enterprise: How BlackBerry Security Works Get an IT-level review of BlackBerry® Security, addressing data leakage protection, certified encryption, containerization and much more.
- Future Focus: What's Coming in Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) Find out why Enterprise Mobility Management (EMM) solutions that are truly future-ready must be designed to enable Machine-to-Machine (M2M) capabilities and much more.
- Live Webcast On-demand webinar: "Mobility Mayhem: Balancing BYOD with Enterprise Security" Check out this on-demand webinar to hear Sophos senior security expert John Shier deep dive into how BYOD impacts your enterprise security strategy...
- Live Webcast Unmasking the Differences between Consumer and Enterprise File Sync & Share The consumerization of IT combined with the rapid pace of the modern mobile workplace is forcing enterprise IT teams to evaluate file sync...
- Live Webcast Workforce Mobilization for Improved Productivity A mobility research director from Aberdeen discusses reasons for extending legacy applications to mobile devices, and an integration strategist from Attachmate shows how...
- Getting Ready for BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10.2 Find out how BlackBerry® Enterprise Service 10 helps organizations address the full spectrum of EMM challenges, while balancing the needs of both the...
- Containerization Options: How to Choose the Best DLP Solution for Your Organization This webcast outlines a framework for making the right choice when it comes to containerization approaches, along with the pros and cons of... All Mobile/Wireless White Papers | Webcasts