Beware of BI vendor hype about Hadoop
Computerworld - If a business intelligence (BI) vendor tells you that its products are integrated with Hadoop, you should ask a lot of questions.
The hype around Hadoop has pushed many BI vendors to declare their support for the big data technology without explaining exactly what that means, Forrester analyst Boris Evelson warned in a recent blog post.
"Hadoop is not a single entity. It's a conglomeration of multiple projects, each addressing a certain niche within the Hadoop ecosystem, such as data access, data integration, DBMS, system management, reporting, analytics, data exploration and much, much more," he wrote.
If you're considering a BI tool for Hadoop environments, you need to know whether the tool works with the community version of Hadoop and with commercial versions sold by vendors such as Cloudera and Hortonworks, Evelson said.
It's also important to find out which specific components of Hadoop the BI tool integrates with. Hadoop technologies include Hive, Hbase, Pig and Sqoop.
"You really need to peel a few layers of the onion" to confirm whether any given BI tool can really work with Hadoop, he wrote.
This version of this story was originally published in Computerworld's print edition. It was adapted from an article that appeared earlier on Computerworld.com.
Read more about Applications in Computerworld's Applications Topic Center.
- Seattle Children's Accelerates Citrix Login Times by 500% with Cross-Tier Insight Seattle Children's is a leading research hospital with a large and growing Citrix XenDesktop deployment. With ExtraHop, the IT team at Seattle Children's...
- McKesson Makes Application Hosting for Hospitals Faster, More Efficient With ExtraHop, McKesson identified the root cause of slow Citrix XenApp application launches and adopted a more intelligent, proactive IT operations model that...
- The Shortfall of Network Load Balancing Applications running across networks encounter a wide range of performance, security, and availability challenges as IT department strive to deliver fast, secure access...
- Leave No App Behind with Software Defined Application Services F5 Software Defined Application Services (SDAS) is the next-generation model for delivering application services that enables service injection, consumption, automation, and orchestration across...
- Transform Your IT Service Management Watch this webinar, to learn how EasyVista can increase IT productivity & efficiency and deliver streamlined & integrated IT Service & Asset Mgmt.
- Top 4 Digital Signage Fails Join RMG Networks for a look at four of the most common reasons digital signage fails in corporate businesses. Learn about strategies to... All Applications White Papers | Webcasts