Starbucks Card now integrated with Passbook in iOS 6 for iPhone
Starbucks has used barcode scan payments for more than a year
Computerworld - Starbucks said Thursday its mobile app and Starbucks Card are now integrated with Apple's Passbook, enabling users with iPhones running iOS6 to use their phones for buying coffee.
Users of the existing Starbucks mobile app need to tap "add to Passbook" to load the capability to Passbook, Starbucks said in an emailed statement. To make payments, users swipe the Starbucks "pass" in Passbook on the display of an iOS 6 device. They then show the barcode presented on the display to a barcode reader at a pay station at Starbucks.
Since Passbook is time and location-aware, the Starbucks Card will show up on the device's lock screen automatically when a customer enters a Starbucks store, the company said.
Starbucks also enables its Starbucks Card over Android devices. It has relied on barcode scanning of its digitally loaded Starbucks Card for more than a year, after officials said they didn't want to wait for a rollout of Near Field Communication technology to smartphones and terminals.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Vehicles Best Practices Installation Guide With the Vehicle Best Practices Installation Guide you will learn the background on the problems and solutions as well as guidance for the...
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- Mobile Device Management Policy Best Practices This white paper explores ten policy best-practices for secure and compliant enterprise mobility.
- Mobile Data Security: Finding the Balance Bring Your Own Device has changed the rules for corporate security on smartphones and tablets. Companies need to find the right balance in...
- Managing a Mobile Workforce Learn how this biotechnology company used a mobile device management solution to help secure data accessed by over 125 employees globally.
- Sametime 9.0 Demo Showcasing a simplified user interface for desktop, web and mobile clients, IBM® Sametime® V9.0 is energizing today's enterprise with high definition, real-time communications. All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts