Starbucks Card now integrated with Passbook in iOS 6 for iPhone
Starbucks has used barcode scan payments for more than a year
Computerworld - Starbucks said Thursday its mobile app and Starbucks Card are now integrated with Apple's Passbook, enabling users with iPhones running iOS6 to use their phones for buying coffee.
Users of the existing Starbucks mobile app need to tap "add to Passbook" to load the capability to Passbook, Starbucks said in an emailed statement. To make payments, users swipe the Starbucks "pass" in Passbook on the display of an iOS 6 device. They then show the barcode presented on the display to a barcode reader at a pay station at Starbucks.
Since Passbook is time and location-aware, the Starbucks Card will show up on the device's lock screen automatically when a customer enters a Starbucks store, the company said.
Starbucks also enables its Starbucks Card over Android devices. It has relied on barcode scanning of its digitally loaded Starbucks Card for more than a year, after officials said they didn't want to wait for a rollout of Near Field Communication technology to smartphones and terminals.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Use the Mobile App Mix to Choose an Enterprise App Store Strategy In this research report Gartner outlines how organizations can optimally secure, distribute, and manage mobile applications for employees and contracted workers.
- The Case for Mobile Apps Today's mobile apps turn handheld devices into e-book readers, portable navigation systems, digital wallets and more. And for organizations with mobile workers, they...
- The 5 Big Lies About Going Mobile You've heard about the power of mobile to change your business. But have you realized your mobile potential? It's about much more than...
- Transforming enterprise applications for mobile environments This new white paper explains how Dell Application Modernization and Development Solution Set can help you understand when to develop new mobile apps,...
- NSS Labs & Cisco Present: Evaluating Leading Breach Detection Systems Today's constantly evolving advanced malware and APTs can evade point-in-time defenses to penetrate networks. Security professionals must evolve their strategy in lockstep to...
- Will the Real Endpoint Threat Detection and Response Please Stand Up? This webinar explores new technologies & process for protecting endpoints from advanced attackers as well as the innovations that are pushing the envelope... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!