Starbucks Card now integrated with Passbook in iOS 6 for iPhone
Starbucks has used barcode scan payments for more than a year
Computerworld - Starbucks said Thursday its mobile app and Starbucks Card are now integrated with Apple's Passbook, enabling users with iPhones running iOS6 to use their phones for buying coffee.
Users of the existing Starbucks mobile app need to tap "add to Passbook" to load the capability to Passbook, Starbucks said in an emailed statement. To make payments, users swipe the Starbucks "pass" in Passbook on the display of an iOS 6 device. They then show the barcode presented on the display to a barcode reader at a pay station at Starbucks.
Since Passbook is time and location-aware, the Starbucks Card will show up on the device's lock screen automatically when a customer enters a Starbucks store, the company said.
Starbucks also enables its Starbucks Card over Android devices. It has relied on barcode scanning of its digitally loaded Starbucks Card for more than a year, after officials said they didn't want to wait for a rollout of Near Field Communication technology to smartphones and terminals.
Matt Hamblen covers mobile and wireless, smartphones and other handhelds, and wireless networking for Computerworld. Follow Matt on Twitter at @matthamblen or subscribe to Matt's RSS feed. His email address is email@example.com.
Read more about Mobile Apps in Computerworld's Mobile Apps Topic Center.
- Gartner Magic Quadrant for Mobile Application Development Platforms As unprecedented numbers of enterprises build mobile applications, the mobile application development platform market continues to grow and evolve rapidly.
- The Total Economic Impact of IBM's Worklight Platform Mobile is the fastest growing consumer technology in history. As enterprises build apps to engage these new users they are facing increased complexity...
- Improve Your Mobile Application Security with IBM Worklight IBM® Worklight helps organizations extend their business across multiple mobile devices. It provides an open, comprehensive and advanced mobile application platform to help...
- Unlock the Value of Enterprise Mobility Download this guide and learn how to manage the secure deployment of enterprise mobile apps and data, while still encouraging the levels of...
- It's Chaos Out There Worried about your mobile apps? You should be; it's chaos out there. Check out this humorous video and see if you can recognize...
- Cloud Knowledge Vault Learn how your organization can benefit from the scalability, flexibility, and performance that the cloud offers through the short videos and other resources... All Mobile Apps White Papers | Webcasts
Our new weekly Consumerization of IT newsletter covers a wide range of trends including BYOD, smartphones, tablets, MDM, cloud, social and what it all means for IT. Subscribe now and stay up to date!